Interior sits like this right now.
Momo wheel
NRG QR hub
Hub adapter with airbag defeat
Console deleted
Garage Star shift extender
Sonic Motors VS3 seat
Schroth 6 point harness
My own interpretation of RS style doors, custom door cards with faux suede cover and strap door release.

Attachments

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Re: Oregonmon's white 1990

Get me the material, preferably aluminum, in the thickness you want it, and I'll measure out and cut the rack spacers, if they're not cheaply available online somewhere. My only cost would be enough material to make my own.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Don't you think we could find washers that would fit?

Someone's going to tell me why that's a bad idea.

Attachments

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts

Ryan Ill chip on buying some material so we can all have a set, does anyone know what the thickness is? I have access to a pretty decent variety of aluminum so it shouldnt be too hard. In terms of hardware, I think it would be easiest to go with longer bolts rather than a different U bracket.

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts

ryan, are you implying that you want to simply raise the rack with the use of washers?
After doing some digging this is what I found out
"What I did was do two things. First I used the 1993 LE tie rod ends which have approx 3/16" more stud height which lowers the rod (in the USA the 93 LE was the lowest of all M1 Miata's from the factory and the factory supplied them with these special tie rod ends - part number 8AN2-32-280 and only available through Mazda Comp). I then machined 1/4" thick spacers for the steering rack to raise it back up (if you attempt to do this be very careful and know what you are doing as the width and hole size must be precise in order for the rack not to move or separate under load!). The idea is to get the steering rods as close to parallel with the control arms as possible."
this is assuming a ride height below 12 inches hub to fender.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

If you use washers, your rack bushing won't have anything to rest on. If you rack bushings don't have anything to rest on, it'll jiggle around. Don't have a jiggly rack, make a full sized spacer.

I'm guessing HD has a wide enough 1/4" aluminum bar stock we could use. I could just cut it to length, and drill two holes to match the subframe mounting holes. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

ha, that's what I just finished telling him on fb chat.

Need to have that bushing tight.

For s13s you can get eccentric rack spacers that move the positioning of the rack (foward, for reduced ackerman change) -- almost seems like there's a need for some offset rack spacers to raise the rack for miatas.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

^LOL. :bouncin::bouncin::bouncin:

Late but productive night, this steering rack has been a pretty fun project really.

I got the rack mostly put back together, everything is greased but a few nuts including the adjust spring nut, which requires a in/lb torque wrench.

The hardest part was getting the new boots on. Holy **** they makes those things fit tight.

So to do list consists of
-torque nuts
-job weld the hard line ends closed that we're cut
-install R Package tie rod ends (delivery for Thursday)
- see if Curly fabs up some 1/4" aluminum spacers for under the U brackets to raise the rack up

When it comes time to putting it back in the car, I'm not sure how lining up the splines, steering wheel, basic alignment will go.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)

Here's a couple more of the pins press fitted into the pinion. You can actually see a pin in the very top of the splines. That is put in by the factory (Mazda) which then goes through the torsion spring that goes down into the pinion. So my buddy replicated that and pressed in 2 more pins 180 degrees opposite of each other where the 2 pieces are separate and twists causing the play in the steering. They took the whole thing apart, pretty funny. Way beyond my scope and I imagine not typically done due to the tools/equipment needed for this method.

Attachments

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

So is it all done and driving? Or is that an old picture.

21 - 40 of 2930 Posts