ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 2930 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: Oregonmon's white 1990

Super fab rack spacers made. R package ends come today. Hopefully going back together and on the ground today.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Car is all back together and a lot of messing around with toe adjustment, removing steering wheel and hub adapter to different splines and so forth. I was running into the situation where left and right full lock were not equal.
Then what looked like fairly straight wheels in the air ended up being toed way out when put back on the ground. Let's justsay the first slow drive down the street, the wheel was a bit twitchy left and right. (Great turn in :))
Got it back up and adjusted the toe with the tie rods. Much closer and ready for alignment.
R package tie rods and rack spacers went on as well. You can see in the picture the tie rods are close to parallel with the ground at the current ride height.
Speaking of ride height, the car is sitting higher, especially in the rear. I guess the higher spring rates means less sag?
So I'll need to play with this before alignment.
Can't say much for driving impressions, cause uh I was in no shape to drive last night. My buddy Todd, who has autoxed my car and also the one who pinned the pinion gear, drove while I sat passenger. I think it's safe to say the steering is immediate and you have to pay attention on roads with crowns and undulations, but again the alignment is off now. First impression of steering effort is It's a little lighter, nothing like OMG, but i need to drive it today to get a better feel. I also have read that a lot of guys with depowered racks shoot for 3.5 caster numbers.
550/375 rates didn't feel harsh over the bumps might also be I have more travel with the extra ride height, maybe the m.netters are on to something.
2005 Porsche 997.1 garage mate.

Attachments

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts

New steering rack looks sharp with the new boots and rod end hardware.

Off topic: which HF floor jack is that? Looks larger than the 1.5. I need to get a bigger one to hoist up the M3 a little easier.

Off topic #2: you should create a photobucket or flickr account, host your photos there and then paste in with the correct code (IMG or BBC). Just my recommendation. : D

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

New steering rack looks sharp with the new boots and rod end hardware.

Off topic: which HF floor jack is that? Looks larger than the 1.5. I need to get a bigger one to hoist up the M3 a little easier.

Off topic #2: you should create a photobucket or flickr account, host your photos there and then paste in with the correct code (IMG or BBC). Just my recommendation. : D
Thanks!

Jack is actually from Costco, like $140. It's very nice but a little big now for a moderately low Miata.

Yes the photo hosting is messed up.

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts

Looks good ryan, what are your hub to fender measurements? and pinchweld to ground measurements?Are those superpro steering rack bushings?Did you end up reusing the stock hardware with the rack spacers or buy longer bolts?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Haven't measured it at the higher height. If I had to guess it's probably 12.5f 12.75r, possibly higher. Yes Super Pro rack bushings and the factory bolts are long enough with 1/4" aluminum spacers.
Anybody know what toe numbers you've been running?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts

I would just follow 949's recommendation unless you're trying to induce some weird behaviors for cone punting.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Oregonmon's white 1990

Another fairly easy mod that Curly recommended and made a great difference in pedal feel. We looked at the brake booster while someone pressed on the brake pedal. There's no doubt, that whole assembly moves. So I used the bracket that my strut brace uses and drilled a hole and fitted bolt, washer, nut which butts right against the assembly. The pedal feels is quite a bit firmer, I mean it's really great. Whether the strut brace goes back on is up for debate.

I need to get a longer bolt so I can utilize the strength of both pieces.

Attachments

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts

Save the weight and just keep the plate + brake brace. Those hinged tower braces move as the chassis moves.

Steve Dinan openly admitted that his hinged CF Dinan braces for strut BMWs are simply engine bay dress up. That's on a car that should actually see some benefit from a tower brace (our cars less so). Save for a fixed Carbing, Okuyama or Mazdaspeed 3 point if you must have the bling. Those are noticeable though marginally.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Yeah, although that thing ways nothing. If it really is just a dress up item, makes less sense because I think it looks better without it. I did throw the original brace bolt in its original hole to further connect the 2 pieces of the bracket.

Now, that ugly AFM needs to go.

Here's my numbers from my last alignment. Not bad camber numbers, I think I'll try about the same if not a little closer to 3.5 on the caster. And maybe 1/16th rear toe.

Attachments

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts

Bring your whole brace over to me, two easy bolts and it'll come off.

I'll shave it down to minimum height, weld a piece of metal on top (to replace that bolt) so it won't flex in/out, weld a nut on so you don't have to have a bunch of funky hardware, and paint it flat black. You'll be the envy of the do it yourself brake master cylinder brace club.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)

Thanks Josh for the offer.

Alignment is scheduled for Friday. It's driving great. The steering is so direct and I think it will invoke a lot of confidence at the limit of traction. I think about at track/autox and when I would be sawing a bit at the wheel on long sweepers and I now realize I was using steering input against the play in the rack. I should be able to really push it and keep it right on the knife edge so to speak. I lowered it some today so right now it's at 5" at the pinch welds, front and rear. Needs a little lower but I don't want to sacrifice rear travel.
Got the steering hub, QR, and steering wheel back on and it's tracking dead straight.
Although it does follow the cracks and crowns in the road. I think I notice it even more now because the play is gone. Sacrifices. .. We'll see how off the alignment on Friday.

Took it for a little spray off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Drove by America's Tire to get some free air check. Combination of winter and not checking pressures since last autox resulted in tire pressures at a anemic 22psi. Bumped up to 34ish, now this is the steering feel I was hoping for.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)

Here's a little more low. If I want any sort of rear travel on the rear this is about as low as I feel comfortable with.
But I should be able to get good camber numbers in the front.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 2930 Posts