ClubRoadster.net banner

381 - 400 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Here's the video of my 2nd autocross in the Camaro. On the Miata front, I am working on upholstering my stock steering wheel in suede. First attempt was a fail, but I found a guy on youtube that has some awesome lessons on this and I'm sure my next attempt will be a success. Enjoy!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Here are the photos of my steering wheel progress.

PF261 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

I wrapped it in masking tape, which I then cut off and used as a template, mainly because the factory leather sucks for this purpose. I definitely want a red strip up top.

PF259 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

PF264 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

PF258 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

I cut the tape off in halves and used them to trace on the loop of fabric I had already sewn. This was the mistake, I really should have not sewn the fabric into a loop without taking strict measurements. I just wrapped it around the wheel and took and eye balled a mark to sew.

PF260 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

PF262 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 · (Edited)
Once I had the shape, I stitched the edges to give me something to stitch to and create a nice pattern
PF263 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Then, I started stitching it together
PF266 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

As you can see, I ended up with wrinkles in the spokes as the material was too long. It needs to be short such that it's difficult to even place on the wheel. I learned this by watching a channel called Cechaflo on youtube.
PF265 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Cechaflo video

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've meaning to do this on a Momo wheel I have and have watched his videos a few times. How did it turn out so far cause the wrinkle in the leather is what i was worried about. Also did you use any glue around the wheel?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
I've meaning to do this on a Momo wheel I have and have watched his videos a few times. How did it turn out so far cause the wrinkle in the leather is what i was worried about. Also did you use any glue around the wheel?
It turns out that the cover was too long. He shows in another video that your cover has to be the same length as the inner circumference of the wheel. This will keep the material from wrinkling up in the inner circumference as it will be just the right length. However, if your material is not very stretchy, like leather, this will make it hard to do. Possibly why you don't see steering wheels wrapped in regular cloth.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
I got my mirrors back on, so I can make the drive to the paint shop to get her polished. One thing that irks me about this mirror design is that there isn't an easy way to get one of the bolts in the base
PF 267 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

This space just doesn't allow for a tool to get in and tighten that bolt without scratching the mirror
PF 268 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

For this reason, I made a couple of studs. I placed one in the impossible position on each door and used a bolt for the opposing side of each mirror
PF 269 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

PF 270 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

PF 271 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

The final result is a very solid mirror that doesn't shift in any way and is easy to take off and put back on.
PF 272 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Had some extra suede material lying around and decided to make a new shift boot just because

I use masking tape to keep the two pieces aligned as I run them through the machine. You can rip it off after or just leave it
PF 273 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Here are all four pieces sewn together
PF 274 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Installed on the center console
PF 275 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice job on the boot! Regarding the mirrors, I am quite confident that they "fold" the other way too, allowing tool access; at least NB ones do.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Nice job on the boot! Regarding the mirrors, I am quite confident that they "fold" the other way too, allowing tool access; at least NB ones do.
Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the shift boot came out since it was a random, last minute idea. The mirrors do fold the opposite direction, however, it is only very slight and it leaves very little room for a tool. This is why I ended up scratching my mirrors at the base when I first mounted them.

Here they are folded in the opposite direction. As you can see, it's still not convenient.
PF 279 by Jose Matos, on Flickr
PF 280 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
Finally managed to get some work done on the car. I hit the junkyard and got myself a set of driver's side seat rails along with new crash pads for the doors and dash (the ones I got from my friend had the standoffs for bolting to the door panel broken and the dash one cracked over the tomb stone). As to be expected from a junkyard car, the rails were rusted over. However, they were solid, so they got the vinegar treatment.

PF281 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

A little white vinegar and salt to kill the rust
PF282 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Sadly, I didn't have a container large enough to do both rails at once, so I did one at a time
PF283 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

The stuff doing its job
PF284 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

A few days later, I brushed the rails with a tooth brush and neutralized in water with baking soda. This is the result:
PF285 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

From there, I hit them up with some gloss black "roll bar and chassis" paint from VHT
PF286 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
I lost the little piece that closes the wire up on the seat rails, so I made one using copper wire
PF287 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

PF288 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Installed the rails with fresh looking bolts (stock bolts)
PF289 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

The stock seat is finally back in. I'll be posting my Elise seat, with rails, for sale. I am going for a more OEM+ look which the magnificent Elise seat, unfortunately, doesn't suit.
PF291 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
I also spray painted my window cranks while I did the seat rails
PF300 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Plus, I had pulled the backing for them while in the junkyard
PF299 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

I don't have good enough lighting right now to even take a decent picture. It looks so much better in person, the suede is much darker black and the crash pad, window crank, door pull, etc is ultra dark and rich looking.
PF298 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 · (Edited)
Selling my Elise Probax seat with the bracket/rails to install in any NA/NB. Will not separate unless you have another buyer that wants the bracket/rails. $750 OBO. Would prefer to sell locally but will ship at buyer's expense.

20181006_224438 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Since my ABS door panels eliminated the speaker cover pieces, the corners by the speakers were without clips. This is because the clip hole in that corner is in a recessed surface, making it impossible for a clip on a flat door panel to reach. The speaker covers have raised clip mounts for this purpose. For this reason, I designed and printed my own raised mounts.

Door clips by Jose Matos, on Flickr

I sanded the backs of these as well as the surface they attach to and gave them a healthy coat of ABS glue to make sure they stick real well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
I sold the Elise seat a couple weeks ago, now it was time to move onto some new things. First order of business: new top. I ordered new tension cables and a new top. Being me of course, there's no way I would just mount a new top on the frame. I took the frame off, removed the old top, and then ground all the rust off the frame, followed by a new paint job.

381 - 400 of 415 Posts