ClubRoadster.net banner

401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Off with the old top
TF1 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

There was rust in all the little crevices, so I got my dremel out and got to scraping
TF2_5 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Took the new top out and set it on a tower of Camaro tires(really useful for this task lol)
TF6 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Here is the painted frame (ignore the Velcro straps, I removed them since the flexible window tops don't use them)
TF7 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Unfortunately, this top didn't come with the strings in it to help run the tension cables through the top, so I used some copper wire
TF11 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

The large head on the tension cable would not fit through, so I had to round them off on the grinder like so:
TF12 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Then, it was rivet time
TF13 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

The primary difference between a premium top and a discount one is primarily small, but important details. Like the size the holes need to be. Here, I had to use a Unibit to drill out the holes so the rivets would fit.
TF15 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

I used these screws with some washers to hold the top in place while I did the rivets
TF14 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
From here, I slid the wraps around the tops tubes. This top has wraps for each tube, it does not use straps as it does not have a glass window. Much better system in my opinion; it makes it easier to lower the top since you don't have to manually move one of the tubes. Also, the tube won't wear a hole in the top since it does not move relative to it.
TF16 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

TF17 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
With the top all mounted to the frame, it was time to mount the rain rail to it. TF18 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Before that however, I had to mount the front bow to the top. One of the clips the screws go into was somehow missing, so I designed and 3D printed one.
TF19 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Worked perfectly
TF20 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

I used some shop clamps to hold the rain rail to the top
TF21 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Since I didn't have the special rivets used to attach the rail to the top, I simply ran fishing line through the holes and tied them together. From there, I went and mounted the top on the car. You can see the fishing line in this image.
TF22 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Here is the finished product:
TF23 by Jose Matos, on Flickr
Love the look. I'm glad I went with the cheaper plastic window, it's bigger than the glass on the previous top, thus improving the rear view. Hilariously, the Miata has the same view out of it the Camaro does, it just isn't plagued by the high belt lines of modern cars.
TF24 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
The last few weeks have been slow, but not without progress. I bought a house so the Miata had to take a back seat to home improvement projects. However, I moved the Miata to my new house, where it finally gets to live in a garage! I also proceeded to do some rebuilding of the car.

First, I put the hood latches back on, using some 316 SS bolts that I burnished with my microtorch. I didn't heat them enough to turn fully blue, but I like the copper/gold with hints of blue/purple these have. In better light, they will look killer.
R1 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

R2 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I also reinstalled some assorted finish pieces
R3 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Which I repainted before putting back in, of course
R4 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

Finished up my seatbelt tower areas. For those who have taken this apart and then forgotten how the bolts and clip go back in, here is a picture of mine. Those odd bolts go there so you can attach the top boot (if you have one). If you don't, it won't hurt to replace them with some countersunk allen head bolts and dress washers.
R5 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
I forgot to take a pic, but I also reinstalled the belt line moldings on the doors. Once I get all the assembly done, I'll give the car a thorough detail inside and out to eliminate all the dust from the deteriorating cover it had on it.

Here she sits, in her new garage (which is also a project now lol. Started by scraping off popcorn and removing some rotting cabinets the previous owner had on the wall).
R6 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Haven't done much with the Miata in years. Pretty much just take it out for an occasional spin to keep it working and keep the battery alive lol. I did fix up the garage and make it a much nicer place for the Miata to live though.
20201117_095040 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Just scored a set off EBC Red Stuff pads for my Miata thanks to the EBC Pads giveaway here on clubroadster. Much love to EBC for the hookup! I was actually quite unhappy with the existing pads so I expect these will be a massive upgrade.

20210511_194948 by Jose, on Flickr

I love when parts include stickers!
20210511_195822 by Jose, on Flickr

20210511_200040 by Jose, on Flickr

401 - 415 of 415 Posts