ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I'm on my last nerve with this car, you may see it in the for sale section next week if I can't sort this out.... Put a new head on the car, I was blowing coolant out the exhaust, after install she runs great, no smoke but my temp gauge is quite busy.. Cruising on the highway it creeps up and up till the needle is just past the symbol, hasn't gone higher.. If I downshift and floor it, the temp comes down.. And repeat.. I'm thinking water pump is suspect? Supposedly done 10k miles ago though.. I'm sorry if this has been covered, I'm really frustrated and the search bar never helps me..

Also, new rad cap and no thermostat at the moment, but it was doing it with it in too
Thanks!
Jeff

·
Banned
3,279 Posts
When you say the temp goes down when you downshift and floor it, how far down? Like does it jump down or creep lower?

Rx7 Guys turn the heater on blast if the car gets too hot, might be a good backup for you if your car is hitting... the danger zoooooooonnnnnee

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creeps down..

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Did you get a new head or did you put on a used head? If you did put a used head did you get it machined?

Get a thermostat and not the expensive ones with the fail safe. Reason is I had 2 fail safe ones with in a month that would stay stuck and it would heat up till gased it. Finally changed to the cheap 2 dollar one and never had the problem again.

How many psi is your rad cap?

·
Banned
3,279 Posts
downshifting and accelerating creates a bit more power that could jump the waterpump to function. Sometimes the bearings go out in them and need a little more power to function. So higher load on the motor, leads to higher load on the water pump which could be enough to make the pump function.

Anyway, it's his waterpump

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a rebuilt head I put on..

The thermostat I pulled out I don't think was bad, but who knows at this point. I just removed it to see the outcome..

When I bought it the guy said he did the pump and belt but he's a mechanic and conveniently has no records, I will say the timing belt has low wear on it

I want to say the rad cap is 11 psi

·
Banned
3,279 Posts
Depending on your driving habits, you can cause the waterpump to fail prematurely.

Again... waterpump, wouldn't hurt to take it off to take a quick look.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Get yourself a thermostat and a radiator cap. Stock is 0.9 bar (13 psi).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depending on your driving habits, you can cause the waterpump to fail prematurely.

Gots a new one coming in the morning.. Should be on by noon..

·
Banned
3,279 Posts
Why would it be hoses? If it were hoses symptoms would be a lot worse, and odds are he wouldn't be able to cool the motor from accelerating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking like miata will be up for sale..

·
Miata's Can't Drift Silly
1,568 Posts

Yea I'm also voting waterpump. They are quite cheap brand new(only way to get them)and with our engine configuration easy to change out once you take out the radiator and stuff on the front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When the car is running hot as balls shouldn't the upper radiator hose be under Alot of pressure? Cause mines not...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You dont have pressure cause your thermostat is not thereeeeeeeee. Thermostat holds the pressure till it opens up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts