ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys ive got a 1.6 99 turboed (JDM import) and today while i was on high way going on 100-120 km /h(60-70 miles/h) the car started overheating.when i slowed down the temperature falled What does this mean? is radiator fault or did the thermostat freezed on closed position leading to overheating? on 1-2-3 speed in city nothing happened, everything seemed fine :s
the fans are working.
help pls

·
Registered
638 Posts
pinhole leak in the radiator hose will do this as well... not visible until high temp or load...

If it goes down when your off the throttle and lower speed. It's unlikely your thermstat closing... easy test, thermstat out + hot water, insert thermstat in hot water pan.. (observe) It should open

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any chance being the radiator?

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Well higher RPM of the turbo equals more heat cruise and traffic is where you normally have cooling issues on a turbo car. But if this is the first time it's coming up it is likely it will be something else.

Check for leaks, air bubbles, like said before if tstat is stuck the upper hose won't be hot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well higher RPM of the turbo equals more heat cruise and traffic is where you normally have cooling issues on a turbo car. But if this is the first time it's coming up it is likely it will be something else.

Check for leaks, air bubbles, like said before if tstat is stuck the upper hose won't be hot.
its hot. So is no the thermostat. then? :S

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jack up the front of the car when burping the rad to make the rad fill the high point. If that doesn't help get a new OEM thermostat and back flow the cooling system. I assume that putting the heat on high does not help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A racing radiator increases system capacity but if you have other problems it only delays the overheating point.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Omg. Chec,k for coldspots on he rad. If it has a coldspot its plugged. Sounds like a clogged radiator. And what's so special about the jdm miata?

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Saying it is a 99, NBs over there had 1.6s.

He was just giving you that info so you know it is a 1.6.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Insufficient ducting and/or missing lower tray around the radiator can cause the same exact symptom.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Clogged rad.

I've run without an undertray or ducting on my 300whp NA for over a year and my temps sit rock solidat 192-195*.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would definitely check if you have your coolant topped off, and check for cold spots on radiator.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are the cold spots?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could it be the headgasket?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Head gasket? It does allow coolant to leak overboard, or into cylinder and you get crop duster white smoke and coolant smell and in both of the above cases you have loss of coolant and thirdly you pump coolant into oil and viceversa. Oil looks milky light brown and Copland gets oil in it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Coldspots are where the rad is cold in certain areas, indicating a clog in that area. Missing duct wuld mean overheating at idle. Does not soun like a headgasket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts