1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 1991 1.6
Miles: 160000
Last timing belt / water pump change 3000 miles ago

Issue: car overheats and I am not sure why. Not low on coolant. Took thermostat out in case it failed. No coolant in cylinders, no oil in coolant (not blown hg) doesnt blow smoke. Replaced coolant temp senor. Fan comes on when at opp temp. Car will just stay past halfway on temp gauge and get VERY hot. I cannot figure out why as the service was just done an oil change ago.

Note: with thermostat removed and car running when cold there is no water movement....shoild there be?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Without a thermostat (I think) there should be constant flow of coolant......air bubbles deep in the coolant system? Maybe a clog somewhere?

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not air bubbles I burped it well months ago (in case mechanics didnt well enough) and its been run nearly every day since no problems.
I do have a 1 year warranty on parts and labor for the tb and wp change...
But yeah I thought with the thermostat removed there should be constant flow and there isnt.

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also the water pump sounds like it is whistling kind of. And there is a leak there. I hope its a wp because I have a warranty on it "/

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cant drive it or tow it so I pulled it behind my truck to mechanics shop tonight and left a note describing the problem. Sighh....

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Radiator is a couple months old. Has a lifetime warrany though.
And yeah theyre great guys. said if the pump is bad theylle replace it for free
If not its a blockage somewhere. Theyre ripping it appart now. If its not the water pump ill just put a newmotor in it lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. My temp gauge will vary from normal running temps in the middle of the gauge to about the 3/4 mark, and continue going up and down. Not sure what the issue I am having is. Perhaps low coolant is to blame?

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Water pump was to blame. The impeller shaft wasnt even on the pulley.....
So if your car is overheating with full coolant, your wp makes noise, you have urewater coming out of the wp weep hole, your fans come on, and you have a new coolant temp sensor AND radiator.....it is likely a wp failure lol. This happened on a new oe wp too not a ebay job

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
You need SOMETHING in there if you remove the thermostat. Put a large fender washer as a restrictor.

And yeah, you need a working water pump. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts