ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1990 mazda miata with greddy turbo kit with mods. At times I see my needle trying to hit as if it is going to overheat while driving. If I drive at slower speeds or just leave it at idle, than it well go back to its normal temp. What do you guys think is causing this and would removing my thermosat help? thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like you're not getting enough air flow through the rad.

Do you have an intercooler mounted in front of the radiator blocking the mouth to the radiator?

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I had the same EXACT problem, only overheated at long stops. I replaced all the simple things, ran water wetter, aluminum radiator, and I still overheated on the hot days. I made a undertray to push the air through and that helped quite a bit. Then one day my waterpump went so i replaced that and bought e-fans that are constantly on. Overheating issue went away ::knocks on wood::

Planning to run water wetter for extra measure this summer.

::edit:: I forgot to mention I took out my AC components/condenser with the install of the e-fans. I think someone mentioned that an intercooler in front of a AC condenser before a radiator will block 60-70% of flow to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i currently dont have AC as well, and yes I have a front mount intercooler so that might be the problem of letting air get to the radiator.

·
Registered
153 Posts
you could have the mouth modified to be bigger. make additional holes through the bumper cover to let more air through. a vented hood could do a lot to let hot air out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
get a laser thermometer, the ones they use for cooking and take temperature readings.

stock cars run a normal running operating temperature of around 175F, supercharged 185F, turbocharged 195F. At least these were the temps of the cars we took on a run on a cool morning.

the main fan comes on at 206.6F.

·
4,296 Posts
hey kenny.
i just bought a 99.
water temp rises when i am doing 80 on the fwy,but drops if i slow down to about 70.
i think its a clogged radiator for me , might be the same in your case.find a radiator shop ,and have them test it.
you should be running your plastic cooling tray,underneath.it needs it to direct the air through the radiator,not around it.
personally in my 93 i dont use a thermostat,and i only use bottled water with water wetter.
but i dont think you should have to modify anything to get the temp stable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts