ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I remove my powersteering and keep my A/C ? I didnt see anyway to adjust the compressor to put tension on the belt.

Thanx

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
why not both. On a side note I believe you can, you need to buy a pully or something from mazda

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I lived anywhere but South Fla then I would remove the A/C, but it just gets too damn hot here in the summer.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes. I'm planning to do the same thing. I've got the parts in a box I just can't find the time to do it. You need to purchase an idler pulley and bracket to mount where the power steering pump once was. This was a pretty rare configuration so you might have trouble finding it at a junk yard. I purchased mine new from Mazdaspeed and it cost around $50.

Click here to view the 1991-1992 Mazda Miata Parts Catalog 1 of 3: Engine. Go to page 41 of 87 (1-G5) and look at assembly 15-970. That is the idler pulley. Everything that is outlined is included with p/n BP01-15-930.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
My understanding is that you use the same belt as if you still had power steering but instead of the belt wrapping around a heavy power steering pump it just goes around a light weight idler pulley instead.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Yup, i did the same thing on my 96. Got the 'no ps w/ac' tensioner and it worked like a charm... changing/tightening s/c belts were a snap too.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes and no. You could just try to figure out what the optimal size belt is for running A/C no P/S and no idler pulley but it'll be a PITA to install and there will be no adjustment capability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts