ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a tutorial for the painting of the Interior of the lighthouses of NBFL to achieve a result "similar" to the Mazdaspeed series.

First of all there is a need for:
-Two bombs of 400 ml of Motip BackLight
-A hair dryer (the best method between the gun too violent and the furnace that heats glue only a short moment)
-Some basic tools (screwdrivers, Ratchet Socket 8 and 10)
-A competent friend (when it is not very talented with his hands)
-A little time (about a good day)

Good start with removing the barrier shock (it is not even certain that it is essential) but I think that it is better not him damage when it was fire. The operation is very simple: 4 screws (socket 10) on the bar at the level of the radiator, 3 clips and two screws (socket 10) in wheel, 4 clips in the "mouth" and 4 screws (Socket 8) aluminium under the barrier shock.

We are therefore left with clear fire access: we unplug everything that is behind, remove the two screws on 10 and pull for the block of the small tit in the wing/bumper corner.

We are left then with fire in the hands...

Remove the bulbs (lights and codes)

Is rectifier then the two screws located on the back of the block and attack the more difficult part, take off the glass part projector/reflector

It weapon its prettiest hair dryer, heating well the case of lip rigid plastic and glue which is below to take a screwdriver and make leverage to gently take off glass.

Once this thing done, that is what it gets

It gets so this, that we are going to paint.

Attack the painting after much scouring to White Spirit.
The result after 2 layers.

When all is well dry: it re - assembled the part painted in the glass (with two small screws).
We think to the flashing window

And again the dry part hair.
Small tip to restore a presentable look plastic lip: heating and on reform with a clip: Yes:

Once again presentable black part is heated to soften the glue still present in the block and is the glass... once well presented whole, it repeated a seal with the silicone (or windshield glue) to be on tightness of all.

The two finished headlights

It redépose the shock barrier, is well revisse as it should be and is content

Difficulty: 3/5

PS: Again thanks to my faithful copicole and friend Yomegui for this time

PS2 : Sorry for the Google traduction

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Final result :

·
Super Moderator
2,741 Posts
Very very nice write up. I will definitley be doing this to my headlights this spring. Thanks for the tips!

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Excellent write up, thank you for the addition to the DIY.

I should add a side note: before painting, make very sure that the chrome surface is very much sanded/scoured and ready for paint. I did not prep enough, and the paint is now bubbling as a result.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excellent write up, thank you for the addition to the DIY.

I should add a side note: before painting, make very sure that the chrome surface is very much sanded/scoured and ready for paint. I did not prep enough, and the paint is now bubbling as a result.
Prep is absolutely key. Last headlights I did I rushed and the results didn't turn out how I would've hoped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the precision

I just cleaned the lights with "White Spirit" and after many months, no problems ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks !! ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did this mod, a few years ago. Looks great on NBFL!
Is that satin black?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have been looking for DIY projects and this is going to have to be one to do,but seeing as how my car is black with orange accents, i wonder how it will look with orange paint rather than black.. hmm?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do it! If you regret, repaint..
Just try it on, without new silicone first.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts