ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to rattle can paint my car because some asshole kicked in some pannels and keyed it now im ready to get a real paint job and was woundering about a few things, but mainly how many gallons of paint will it take to cover a 99 NB1?

Say about 2 coats

·
Registered
40 Posts
1 gallon is more than enough. I recently tried KemFX paint kit which came with 1 gallon base coat , with 2 quarts reducer, and 1 gallon clear coat with 1 quart activator. Which equals to 1 1/2 sprayable gallons of base coat and 1 1/4 sprayable clear.

I did 4 coats base and 4 coats clear, and i still have more than half a gallon of base and clear left over, this was on my NA

So 3 quarts of base would be enough to give your car 2 coats

·
Registered
182 Posts
1 gallon is more than enough. I recently tried KemFX paint kit which came with 1 gallon base coat , with 2 quarts reducer, and 1 gallon clear coat with 1 quart activator. Which equals to 1 1/2 sprayable gallons of base coat and 1 1/4 sprayable clear.

I did 4 coats base and 4 coats clear, and i still have more than half a gallon of base and clear left over, this was on my NA

Link to this kit? I would be interested in getting it.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Yes can we get a link to this kit!

Also ive been researching that anything over 3 coats of clear is overkill. Is this true?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes can we get a link to this kit!

Also ive been researching that anything over 3 coats of clear is overkill. Is this true?

Technically yes.. but after final wetsanding and buff you'll be knocking off a few layers and you'll be glad then that you put an extra layer on :phillyb: So in reallity you'll spray 3-4 layers of clear and sand off a layer or two especially if you are dong this at home. Give yourself room for error.

Heres a link to a a reputable ebay paint dealer. I'll vouch that the KemFX paint they carry is good stuff http://www.ebay.com/sch/thecoatingstore/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

1 - 7 of 7 Posts