ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?ve just finished rebuilding some Vitaloni M2 replica mirrors and I want to have them painted. With the exception of them being painted classic red as there was not a red M2-1028, I want them painted to M2-1028 spec. As far as I can tell the M2-1028 mirrors were painted from the red line up (see below) and the rest is left flat black.

I also have a question about the painting process. I?m going to take them to a professional to be primed and painted Mazda classic red (code: SU), but do they need to be clear coated also? I would think not as my NA doesn?t even have a clear coat from the factory. Does anyone have any advice on painting these mirrors?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got them they were aged and pretty fragile. I took them apart, cleaned them up, replaced the rusted hardware, put gasket paper under each plate, and used some plastic filler (JB Weld) to fuse the areas that were separating (along the red line from the above pic). Reassembled, they are now very sturdy and ready for some paint.

So anything special on painting these Jesse?

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Did you really fill that red lined area with JB Weld? So that means you wont be able to take the top shell off for repairs/ maintenance/fixing in the future?

I was just going to take the top shell off and have it repainted.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.. I just dropped the mirrors off at the paint shop and they are going to mask them off how I showed them, but recomended that they put a clear coat on after the paint.. said especially with the mirrors being plastic.

He's charging $80 for both mirrors.. sounded good to me. I'll pick them up in a few days.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I didn't know how else to keep them from falling apart.
Is the long screw missing? The top shell is held on by a single long screw that screws in just below the mirror-glass. Also- if the top shell screw hole was stripped out, you could have replaced with a new part from Vitaloni. They still produce this mirror assembly except with a generic fender mounting base. So the top shell and the mirror-glass can still be replaced w/ new parts.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, the long screws are rusted and stripped out, so how do you get them out of there? The weld was applied at the point of the shelf opposite the mirror (red circle). There were holes at this area on each mirror that made the whole assembly weak. Anyway, if I could somehow get the long screws out I could still cut the weld off the the seam with my dremel.

So who sells the mirror assembly with the generic base? Zoom??

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
This is the top shell of the mirror. You can see where that single screw attaches. Once you loosen the screw you can slide the top shell off the the base.

BTW the base you see in this photo is the generic fender-mount base. I've already cannibalized the mirror-glass hence it's missing ;)

Chop up the top shell if you must, but no matter what you do - do not damage the mirror base you have- because it is irreplaceble.

The generic vitaloni mirror can be bought at Talbot:
http://www.talbotco.com/vitaloni_mirros.html
BTW- that is $80 EACH.

·
Supporting Member
830 Posts
I actually just finished my set that I picked up not too long ago.
Originally, I was going to buy a pair off of someone, but they were missing the long screw for one of the mirrors, and I did not know how to go about replacing it.
I then decided to do some research on the net, looking for what were parts available, and at M2 - 1028 images to see just how they were originally painted by M2.
BTW - It appears that ONLY the top shells were painted the body color, while the mirror bottoms and bases were left black.
I actually found those Talbot mirrors too, jesseclee.
(Did you know they could be had with chromed top shells???)

I bought my pair off of Yahoo Japan. They had the proper "roadster" bases, but were in rough shape with a 'homemade' mirror in one of them; chipped paint on both bases, and runny spray can silver on the top shells.
BUT, they had the M2 bases, which I was looking for.
I then searched e-bay, and found a new pair of those fender mount Vitaloni Sebring mirrors for a great price.
I stripped and repainted the bases and mirror bottoms satin black, and left the top parts the unpainted black plastic - I cannot decide if I should paint them or not.
They look sooo much better with the un-cracked plastic mirror mounts, and proper mirrors in them.
I also made a new pair of base gaskets out of 1/16" thick black neoprene.
I have attached some before and after pics.
I also attached a pic of the M2 - 1028 front strut bar that I also recently picked up.
The bar is pretty sweet, and in really great shape too.
Obviously, I like the M2 1028 roadster model...

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
830 Posts
I also attached a pic of the M2 - 1028 front strut bar that I also recently picked up.
The bar is pretty sweet, and in really great shape too.
Obviously, I like the M2 1028 roadster model...
Dude- you SCORED!!!!! Congrats! Any installed pics of the painted mirrors?
Thanks Man.
Actually, the pic in the middle in my previous post, of the black ones, are my refurbished 'after' pic. Since my miata is black, I decided to stay with the 'natural' black colored top shells - for now anyway.

I saw this chrome one on e-bay (and a pic of a chrome one installed that I found on a japanese site below, wish it was a nice side view though :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiat-124-Spider-Alfa-GTA-Lancia-Fulvia-CHROME-Vitaloni_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33744QQihZ019QQitemZ290040992117QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great find on the M2-1028 strut tower bar.. that's niiiice! Are you going to powder coat your valve cover black to complete the look? I was hoping to find a M2-1028 strut tower bar also, but I came across a Mazdaspeed one that I could not resist. :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
830 Posts
Great find on the M2-1028 strut tower bar.. that's niiiice! Are you going to powder coat your valve cover black to complete the look? I was hoping to find a M2-1028 strut tower bar also, but I came across a Mazdaspeed one that I could not resist. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I found a local powder coater that will do it in the wrinkle black . I also picked up a nice looking oil cap, off of yahoo Japan, to go with it. Looks like the old wizard cap, and it maybe for all I know...

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Excellent finds for sure, i have the DCUATRO 1028 Based (Vitaloni) mirrors here at the house, i was going to restore them (needs a long screw & some TLC) but i ended up getting the Runabouts (1001 style) instead as im going more retro themed now.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/133000-133999/133278_361_full.jpg

Maybe we should start our own M2-Inc fan club here on the forum. So who is gonna buy a 1028 Rollcage and bring it to the USA? Oh and one of those sexy RollCage Bra thingys, heheh that is hawtness.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/133278/11

PhatMiata

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks nice! Sell me your Runabouts!
You should really get some from metro before he's sold out.. I've heard Runabout won't be making them anymore. Besides mine are just getting tucked away while I sport the Vitalonis for a while.

Who says you can't have 2 sets of mirrors. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts