ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you park your car with the top down on the street or in a parking lot? If you do, do you even bother rolling up the window and locking your car? lol this is my first convertible and I'm worried about security. I live in Alhambra, CA, has anyone in the near area have anything stolen like that? like rear view mirror or even your audio systems?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I always leave the car unlocked unless I have the hard top on then I do lock the doors. If you're worried about theft purchase additional insurance coverage. Worry about your health, not whether or not some low life is going to trash your car. Having said that, the last time I parked my car with the top down on a nice warm summer night about 50 birds took a crap on it. What a mess! Even though it's a pain I almost always put the top up now to avoid a repeat unless I'm far away from any trees, telephone poles, etc. where birds might flock.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Don't live anywhere near Cali but I used to park my NA with top and windows down everywhere I go.

I stopped doing that after I started working at a ghetto club. Started to see how dirty people really are.

Now it depends on the amount of time I am leaving it alone and in what area. But almost always windows up and locked. It is a deterant.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Erecting the top, rolling the windows up, and locking the doors might be a deterrent to bums littering in your car but it won't stop anybody from breaking in. Even if you leave the doors unlocked sometimes the idiots will still smash your windows and slash your top.

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
it all depends where i am. if i am in La Canada or San Marino or some other ritzy neighborhood like that, then i wont put the top up. I always lock it though.

but like freedomgli said, the top up and locked doors isnt going to stop someone from stealing something from your car or even your car.

·
Registered
720 Posts
with the top down whats the point of locking the door or rolling up windows ?

if i had a hardtop id lock the doors
otherwise i dont

·
Registered
201 Posts
im in alhambra. i park with the top down if it's a quick stop.
I'm in Houston and I am the same way. Quick stops or if the car is in my view, like fast food restaurant, I will leave the top down. Anywhere else I put the top up. It's more I'm worried birds will crap on the leather or someone will throw something in it than theft worries.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lock it, or Lose it!

an old phrase i heard my dad say a million times to me while i was growing up. i always lock it unless i know im gonna be in and out. never know these days.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
When I first got mine, I would always put the top up and lock it, then I started just rolling up the windows, now depending on how long I am gona be in the store for I just lock it and leave everything down, unless its going to be a while. Glovebox is always locked.

I normally park at the back of the lot too, away from everyone as people seem to like to open their doors into mine, still get that one asshole though that parks next to me, even though there are many to choose from.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I live around your area. It's pretty safe but I always park with the top up, windows up and locked because I am paranoid.

I don't know what is but some people think convertible owners are conceited ? Some do really nasty and terrible things when they see a parked car with the top down.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I disconnected the rod that goes from the lock to the latch in my trunk, the only way in is to use the lever in the arm rest. Does that count as security?

(In reality I broke it when gutting my trunk)

·
Registered
720 Posts
the only way for me to get in my trunk is with a key

i think its pointless to lock the glove compartment and the arm rest thing
those locks are pretty weak , a good pull and they open

·
CR.net Supporter
124 Posts
Wing i live in monterey park and i always put my top and window up except for my back window i leave that down.....unless i'm away from my car for a long time.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
doors unlocked. top down (unless overnight).
doors unlocked, even with HT, unless leaving car for extended amount of time.

for example, at work, car sits in parking lot w/ HT and unlocked doors.

if top down, windows down. if top up, windows up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts