ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Sorry I've been away for so long, moved into a new place in Sierra Madre but I have no internets up there yet. I also haven't been to any KINOD meets in a long while. Anyways, it's Thursday, December 1st and last night was the night the trees lost. You probably heard/seen it on the news, the 60-70mph wind gusts, fallen trees and downed powerlines and all that junk.

Anyways, so my NC was sitting in a carport when the roofing ripped off and hung off the edge, slapping into the ass of my NC for a couple hours. No body damage, the top is intact but the paint is all kinds of jacked up (those roofing tar sheets are like coarse sandpaper) so half the car needs to be repainted. I have two things I was wondering I could get some advice for:

1. If the plastic bottom part of the rear bumper is scratched up pretty bad, is there any way to salvage that? Like, can it be buffed out or something? I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new bumper cover if at all possible.

2. Is there any trusted quality painters out there that won't break the bank? What would be the expected cost on something like that? I just want it back to OEM quality and color.

Thanks homies!

PCho (a.k.a. Cool NC Guy)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Homeowners or renters insurance may cover that, check with them before you do anything. If not them what about your comprehensive auto coverage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being the genius that I am, forgot to pick up renter's insurance (rented apartment) so that's a fail on my part. As for insurance, I have full coverage so that will cover it, but depending on the cost i may just pay out of pocket to avoid raising my premiums. I'm hoping it will be less than 1k.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
I was in Pasadena as well at my gf's house. I left early because I was feeling sick, I was later informed that a massive tree fell where I was parked. Lucky? Yes

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you renting up there? The rentee must have insurance, check with them. Do you have any pics of the damage? I have seen body shops heat plastic and re shape it then skim coat and etc.. good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gonna be kinda hard to get a factory finish on half the car for 1k. May have other body work that needs to get done also.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
ugh, a fucking tree fell on my house... no damage surprisingly... damn well built 1930's construction!

some cars got DESTROYED on my street though from flying cows and such

·
Registered
568 Posts
****, Pasadena... Fallen/uprooted trees are everywhere, luckily my car is still intact.. didn't lose electricity, but lost water access. 80 year old tree ripped out of the ground taking the water lines with it. Pasadena is a wreck right now..

·
Registered
788 Posts
Chobomb, I could be wrong, but I think the lower black portion that you are referring to is all one piece with the rest of the bumper (actually what they refer to as the bumper cover, but... I don't believe it's removable, so depending on the damage you may want it all replaced... don't really see how it can be buffed out, being non painted...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have full coverage so that will cover it, but depending on the cost i may just pay out of pocket to avoid raising my premiums.
A comprehensive insurance claim should not raise your rates. It was not a collision, you didn't get any points on your license, and it was something out of your control.

If your insurance company wants to raise your rates on a comprehensive claim, it is time to find a new company.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
^that.

talk to your insurer, ask if it will raise your rates. generally, comprehensive claims have some leeway, unless you file too many during a certain time frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts