ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I would start a build thread for the car since the car is getting closer to where I want it to be.

Some background...

Bought the car towards the end of January from a middle-aged guy for $2000, bone stock, apart from some HUGE snow tires. Said up until he owned it, his father kept it in the garage for its whole life. I find that hard to believe, but whatever . In my excitement, I unfortunately forgot to grab the two rear oem wheels when I left his house. Fuuuuuuuuuuu. So I was stuck with these for a while…

:phillyb:

The top had a pretty big patch below the window that ripped wide open the first time I put the top down. Bummer. Came with a tonneu cover, though :whistle:. It also had a busted taillight, which I wasn’t too worried about. Got a replacement pretty quickly from another member on here.

The rust that was a lot worse then I originally thought it was. :fp: Another bummer. Also came to find out the locks don’t work and the key doesn’t open the trunk. Guess im not keeping anything valuable in the car. :roll:

Other then those drawbacks, the car was in pretty good condition.

After a thorough clean up (vacuum/shampoo) the interior was close to mint. The paint was also in decent shape.

Before

After

After changing the major fluids (Still need to change brake/tranny/diff), and lubing up the manual window tracks which were pretty terrible, The first thing I did was a much-needed foamectomy. After only 10min of driving in the stock seat my lower back was killing me, so I was hoping that it would help.

After about 2 inches of foam was taken out the seat was drastically more comfortable. It also holds you in much better around corners. :)

Final Cut

I have a buttload of pictures of how I did it if anyone is interested in a short write up…the ones on m.net don’t seem to have many picturez.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Broke a sway bar link. Found 4 oem for 40 bucks so replaced all four when I installed the next goodies I got…

I ordered a set of Megan EZ-Street coils, which were on backorder for about a month, which isn’t bad considering how long some other people waited.

This was a huge PITA. The tack welds broke when trying to remove this bolt out of the rear strut. Had to cut a notch in the a arm to fit a wrench in there. Not exactly the prettiest solution, but it worked. Not the best design either…:fp:

Around the same time I picked up a set of mint 15x8 et25 Enkei 92 wheels with 205/50 Falken Azenis from a member on here (Sdemo). I got some gold lug nuts which I wasn’t too sure about but figured what the hell.

My exhaust was mangled by Meinikee so I opted to just go the route of a full exhaust rather then trying to salvage mine. So I ordered a Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport3 cat back with a non resonated midpipe, a Techno Toy Tuning test pipe, and Racleland headers.

I was a little nervous about the headers since ive heard some bad things about fitment, but other then their awful gaskets everything looked good and fit well. Very happy with the sound. Not too loud AT ALL, which I was also nervous about. Silent at idle, starts to really liven up at 2.5k and gets really loud at WOT. No audible rasp. Pretty deep and tame for no cat. Minimum drone at 3.8k/cruising speed. The only issue is a huge rattle at around 3k :?, but goes away sometimes. Im thinking there’s a pebble or something in the muffler L The header clears the bell housing by a good bit, so its definitely not that. I need to take the muffler off and see what’s going on.

I removed the charcoal canister and windshield fluid bottle. I also removed all A/C components since the compressor was off when I bought the car. Planning on going to manual steering as well.

Debadged the rear…found out mazda used pins on their badge. Stupid.

Eventually going to shave the key hole so ill patch the two holes when I do that.

Somewhere along the lines this happened when I was trying to adjust the mirror…whoops.

Finally rolling the rear fenders flat at my buddys house.

I also ordered some replacement fenders for when I get to the task of rust since mine were rusted out and flap like a bird on the highway :eek:

Not for you, Beta.

Spacers were also purchased from ChrisJuliano and someone else for a final ET of +5 in front and 0 in the back. Just waiting to get some 195/45 tires so they will fit…the 205/50s definitely did NOT fit…oops. :whistle:

Ebay oem replica lip was ordered too…still have to put that on.

Sir Lancelot approves
For only owning the car for 3 months, I’m already in love. Such a fun car to drive and people always seem to enjoy it, which makes me happy.

Probably forgot some stuff but that’s all the major things I did. Hope you enjoy :p

Heres how shes sitting now…

Before I ditched the crooked-ass license plate haha

·
Murse Magnet
7,591 Posts
i would appreciate a write up on a foamectomy. I could use that info and need to do it sometime soon. Head too close to rollbar in the back position and my back hurts also.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like what i'm seeing. Love those wheels too. Nice job on cleaning up the carpet.
Thanks...i forgot to mention the previous owner definitly took his dog out on cruises. It STUNK. The shampoo did wonders. There's no more doggy scent. I used a bissel green machine for anyone thinking of doing this.
i love those wheels man, nice job!
Thanks. Im thinking of polishing the lips this winter. Thoughts?

your paint is in fantastic condition considering the year. 1990-1992 white miata paint would flake terribly after about 10 years.
Yeah, ive seen a lot with pretty bad paint. Maybe the PO did keep it in the garage :dunno:

i would appreciate a write up on a foamectomy. I could use that info and need to do it sometime soon. Head too close to rollbar in the back position and my back hurts also.
How to is up! Hope it helps!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

WOO! Got a hardtop today for a pretty good price. Guy posted a hardtop miata for 1500 and said he was willing to part out. Gave him a call, asked about the top. Said he wanted 550 for it with a stand. I bought it for 500. OEM Crystal white no defroster/headliner, exactly what i wanted. drove 3hrs and here I am with a nice new top :)

P.S: Sorry to whoever was planning on coming from Massachusetts to pick up the top...hopefully not a member here :whistle:

·
Murse Magnet
7,591 Posts
ohhh how i envy you. I could not get a color matching top. I payed the same amount with a stand but I got Merlot. I love Merlot but the looks is growing a little old.

·
Murse Magnet
7,591 Posts
Get some nice fm sway bars They made a huge difference in my car. I also removed the charcoal canister. Not hard at all to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Would you recommend the Ebay lip or shoot for the OEM piece?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you don't mind very, very minor imperfections then go for the eBay lip. There are very small gaps at each end that are only noticeable if you know they're there. Overall, its worth it for 80 bucks. Fitment is decent and with persuasion it can be pretty good.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts