1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously the first thing I need is a miata

That'll do nicely...

Next thing is a class to build for...

I think STS that will keep expenses down a touch...

Now I need a plan................

Ok I'll make it handle and leave the engine alone.

The people I know that do well run a big bar up front and none out back.....

Suspension Techniques sells a 25mm on eBay cheap I think I'll do that.

Shocks..... Shocks..... So many choices so little money... I'll have to come back to that.

Tires... I'm thinking direzzas in 185/60/14 for now and rs3s later when I can afford to buy 15's

Stay tuned for more autocross nonsense

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok shocks and springs are nailed down I'm getting tein ssp fully adjustable coil overs. I'm getting them from a friend who is building for nationals. I want a softer setup than his planned 650/250 springs on konis. So his low milage teins will become mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shocks are back in limbo. I'm going to have to think this through a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok the ssp's are going on along with a 22mm front bar. I also picked up a set of Stoptech pads for the front and a short shifter, the stock one is a bit floppy. I will be debuting this car next month and hopefully it will do well.

Tires I'm leaning toward 195/60/14 star specs

·
Murse Magnet
7,735 Posts
yokohama s drives a wonderful tire from the research i have done. I do not own them yet but they are for sure on my list and they are pretty cheap in comparison to star specs

·
Registered
413 Posts
The s drives are good tires, but they aren't competitive in autocross. Star specs are a great choice, I have them myself. As far as brakes for autocross which is at lower speeds you definitely don't want a more aggressive pad in the front. The stock proportioning valve is very front biased which means you will always lock up the fronts first, put a more aggressive pad on the front and the rears will be doing even less work and you'll be more prone to lock up. You could get an adjustable proportioning valve but that throws you out of STS. A lot of people balance the braking by putting the more aggressive pad in the rear in STS and stock classes. Disregard this if you're just putting OEM formula stoptechs.

·
Murse Magnet
7,735 Posts
Slider since you seem to know a thig or two on Autox. What is your take on shocks and springs. Fm stage 1 or koni yellows. That is what extensive research weeded out to

Sent from my iPhone using Magic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Among the autocrossers I race with there are equal numbers running FM and Koni setups both swear by what they have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to ask. I think they run pretty stout springs 650+ front and 350 or so rear. The one I helped on this last weekend had those rates on NA Konis.

Back when I ran datsuns the rear was very stiff and the front wasn't but that was semi trailing suspension and the miata is double wishbone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Short shifter and sway bar arrived today. I installed the shifter WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installed swaybar, cat, and Stoptech front pads yesterday. This thing feels like a new car! I can hardly wait to get the Tein SSPs on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The style bar is going bye bye, hard dog sport is going in I'll feel safer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small update I added some heat shielding to hopefully help make a bit more power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suspension is on and aligned.... I set a new record for my favorite test road. The control is amazing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts