ClubRoadster.net banner

11981 - 11993 of 11993 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah I think I might try to make it to Miatas @ MRLS next year.

Also I've been a bit busy. Still more work to do before Global Time Attack Super Lap Battle in November though.
Laguna Seca is definitely a 'bucket-list' kind of thing, but the distance, expense and minor annoyances of MRLS and this particular event will probably see us going only once every few years.

I saw your roll-call thread on MT, best of luck with the event!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Finally pulled the engine out of the NB today...

DSC_1343 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

There were only three bolts holding the trans to the engine... :eek:

Oil filter sandwich plate was loose... looks like that was the source of the oil leak. Head seems fine, cams turn easily, no sign of adverse wear on the cam lobes. Bottom end still seized... pistons don't look that great.

DSC_1351 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Picked up a couple NB2 motors last week, one of these will be going in...

DSC_1341 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Got some cleanup to do, of both car and some engine parts, and I need to swap over some parts to the new engine, and order a few small things, but I hope to have it running fairly soon.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So, I'm sad to say the blue NB I got from Daniel has been euthanized... :(

Shortly before Christmas, I came across a really clean '99 locally for a price I couldn't pass up...

DSC_1433 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr
DSC_1434 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Only problem... it was an automatic.
DSC_1446 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

So, let the swapping begin...

Big swap start by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Pulled the manual trans and VVT engine from the blue car, and swapped it into the black car...

DSC_1489 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr
DSC_1491 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

So, the blue car has become a parts car... I'll be posting some stuff up on the Phx FB group soon... interior, the BP4W out of the black car, etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rodan I might know where that one motor went. 😉 I’m still working on the car, currently it’s at paint so hoping to finally get it in the car soon enough.

I realized how long it’s been since I have been back on the forums. Good to see some names and photos I recognize. Hope everyone is doing well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Been a long time since I've been on here! Looks kinda dead haha. Looking to pick up a Miata project so I shall be around! Any meet ups still going on or anything exciting in the PHX area?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys, just stumbled upon this thread.
Picked up my first Miata rescue a few months ago. I'm in Tucson.
90 NA, lowered, welded 1.8 diff, stripped, roll bar, primered, drifted, beat up, stage 1 clutch, 170k, lowered (adjustable stage II knockoff coilovers), missing a lot of stuff but running pretty well.
Also had a driver's side corner fender bender from PO. After short consideration, I wanted the headlights to line up. So I found a local guy parting out NA/NBs, got a replacement front clip/radiator holder, cut off the old one, did some custom aligning, welded on the new one, put in low profile LED lights(missing stock popup motors) and set the sleepy eyelids, and now am actually digging deeper to see how the engine, oil, compression, etc. are doing.
Planning to put a Paco 3" lift on it, larger tires, fab a skid plate and enjoy the locked rear end on the country/4x4 roads with my lifted convertible. Anyone lifted around here?

Currently needing to clean window rollers/ actuators, fix cat exhaust seal, check compression, change water pump/tensioners/seals/stuff, change oil, install lift kit and replacement ball joint/tie rod end seals, replace rear window, reduce/ eliminate rattles, add more lighting(high beams), and generally love on it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to CR and the Miata community Friedom! Looks like you have been busy at work already.

I don't know much of the Tucson area, I'm up in the Gilbert area myself, and will have to let the other gents chime in.

Looks like you are going for a total off-road build?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not totally. I was enjoying the process of fixing and having something to work on that I'm not going to decrease the value of(picked it up for $500). A simple lift for clearance that will ALLOW me to take it into dirt roads will be nice though.
I did notice that it seemed like it might be misfiring or something. Performance was a bit underwhelming. Water pump is also beginning to leak, so today I decided to check compression on all 4 cylinders and build a list of parts to get. Timing belt was replaced less than 10k ago, but the covers were omitted and the water pump(evidently) wasn't changed while they were in there, so I'll replace it all at once for peace of mind.
When I pulled the plugs to check condition and compression, I learned that 3 out of 4 plugs were swimming in oil. After compression checks and letting that oil and stuff drain(into the cylinders of course), I took it for a spin to blow things out. A little smoke at first, but then it was running awesome. That little 1.6 hauls!

11981 - 11993 of 11993 Posts