ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I already know it's ghetto as a can be but it runs and it runs Good. As a good friend once said, "It doesn't have to be pretty to be fast." Future plans are to repipe the intercooler, get full exhaust(I'm really liking the new ebay exhaust), clean up the engine bay by hiding wire ect., and get it dynoed. Flame if that's your thing, this is the internet after all.

Attachments

·
2,708 Posts
What's there to flame about? Only show cars have pretty turbo set-ups. You gotthat big-ass snail to be proud of,lol. What size is that? You DO need a heatshield though.

I'm in the process of buidling up my kit now, props to ya.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
setup looks fantastic.

not a flame at all, but I thought on turbo systems you shouldnt wrap the manifold because it retains *too much* heat and causes premature cracking.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again I'm not trying to sound like a ****, I thought that the wrap lowered under hood temps and kept the velosicty up in the exhaust gasses. I guess I should do some searching and find out if I should take it off. Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually it's not the retention of heat that causes cracks, it's condensation. When your down pipe heats and later cools, water vapor outside the pipe condenses and gets trapped by the wrap. The water is absorbed by the wrap and clings to your DP/collector which causes rust to form. The water cannot evaporate off. I'm sure you can figure out the rest. If you want to retain heat, get it ceramic coated (mild steel or cast iron).

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
yea, i was under the impression that wrapping the downpipe is a no-no (especially if its mild steel). but awesome setup. im digging the intercooler. have any photos of where the endtank are and the piping ?

this is from braineack (scott) over on miataturbo.net

"Wrapping the downpipe to reduce underhood heat will prove useless. 80% of the downpipe is under the car, not under the hood. The material of the downpipe will deteriorate very rapidly if insulated. If your downpipe is mild steel, I'd suggest it will not survive more than 2000 miles. Stainless, maybe 5000. It will actually "flake" away and break into pieces."

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
2/3rd's, yep I stand corrected I went and searched.

I built the ghettoest heat shield possible out of sheet aluminum and heat insulation. its pretty awesome, after sitting idle for 10min and a few test runs up and down my street, I could put my hand directly on the shield and just feel heat but not burn. that is until I touched the rivit and left a nice little cigarette burn on my hand. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to take some pictures of the end tanks tomorrow as for the piping, it's ghetto and I'd not suggest following my setup :oops: . But the intercooler works Great, The pipe connected to my throttle body is actually cold after I've driven the **** out of it. Crazy! And is a cheepo eBay one that cost 140 shipped. I'm only running down pipe so about 50% of my exhaust is under my hood, haha. I'm really thinking about removing the wrap off the manifold though, don't want it to crack. Also, a couple of friends are talking about a dyno day so I might have some numbers pretty soon. I'm still shooting for 200whp.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
What's there to flame about? Only show cars have pretty turbo set-ups. You gotthat big-ass snail to be proud of,lol. What size is that? You DO need a heatshield though.

False. My turbo has all the go of any other but it still has a clean engine bay. Its in no way a show car. Its not a bad thing to believe in form and function.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

False. My turbo has all the go of any other but it still has a clean engine bay. Its in no way a show car. Its not a bad thing to believe in form and function.
[off topic]
I agree its not a bad thing but its a pretty shitty state of things when a guy posts his turbo kit bracing for flames? wtf is that about. and a nice looking setup at that.
[/off topic]

·
Registered
877 Posts
I agree its not a bad thing but its a pretty *@#%! state of things when a guy posts his turbo kit bracing for flames? wtf is that about. and a nice looking setup at that.
Yea, no doubt.. nice set up BlackMX-5!! How much PSI?

Oh, That7guy.. you could go less polish and more intercooler :wink:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
8-9 psi right now, Maybe a little more later but is pretty fun for now. And the flame thing was a little internet joke. I might be getting some bigger injectors soon and then I'll probably put my boost controler back on and have 10 psi gated which should be fun. No pictures today, busy at work today but maybe tomorrow. I also believe in form and function but my budget didn't allow for much of the form this go around. I feel the build is the funnest part a project car and next on the list is the form.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
looking good.

like other's have said...I'd reconsider the exhaust wrap and just work on insulating/protecting the things you dont want damaged....like that nice looking brake master in all it's plastic glory

1 - 20 of 23 Posts