ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have that one on my computer... one of my favorite bits ever. they actually made a pretty damned cool car of it!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wish lotus pimped my miata. that would be a riot!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not sure.... i've download some episodes from finalgear.com but i could not find the descprition.

you tube has air some flicks i've haven't seen before too

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Fairly old; end of 2002, into 2003.

Its whats called in the trade, polishing a turd. The Lada Riva is a horrible horrible car, with no redeeming features. I've driven one. Not nice; it was my brothers car (poor student). Allegedly Lotus wasted £100k on this car for the ungrateful owner. Some poor engineer is probably right now cursing the loss of part of his life.

These old Ladas were "ok" before Lada gave them a name; ie when they were straight copies of the Fiat 124, and at least retained some of the Italian style of the COTY 5000BC winner. Then the Russians got too clever, started putting their own engines in, and "updating" the exterior, with the result being all the Russian designed bits fell off. Mechanically, appalling.

This:

became

Yum :roll:

And then Lotus...... they used bits off an old Eclat to bodge the clutch, which apparently kept breaking forever afterwards.

The paint job, for what its worth, is lifted from the Chrysler/Talbolt Sumbeam Lotus; a late 70s Rally car (actually it looked like a Riva without a boot).

The owner sold the car within a year to a German (somewhere in the region of a crazy £15000), who then blew 20000 Euros on getting the scrappie Fiat Twin Cam to 180hp (allegedly topping out at 237kph, but I don't believe that). The car was up for sale in January.

Of course the original Brit owner became God in the Lada Owners Club.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for that aftermath update. i needed the closure.

·
3,857 Posts
I honestly didn't like what they did with the car...

Astheticaly the removed bumper didn't look that good to me...
Furthermore the high profile tires with the not lowered suspension didn't look good either...

As for the engine the ITB rulezzz but I would preffer a SC if there is one for that car...

The Fiat 124 I think had Independent suspension and it wasn't that bad (was one of the best car in these years) but the Lada quality was really poor...

·
Registered
146 Posts
haha... i always thought lada's were cool coz i had one of 3 lada's back in the phillippiness.... its one of those rare cars and would easily win an award in car shows there. it is such a crappy car though. its gone now .. chopped up for scrap metal.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Furthermore the high profile tires with the not lowered suspension didn't look good either...
I yanked the bumpers off my '71 510 when I had it... looked much better. It was lowered so the stance was right...

·
3,857 Posts
I yanked the bumpers off my '71 510 when I had it... looked much better. It was lowered so the stance was right...
I'm with you in that, but in the above case it looked tall like a a skyscraper :mrgreen: and the bumper removal made look way taller

·
Registered
692 Posts
what does "streuth" mean followed by "blimey"? maybe the english cr.net members can help us with that one!

·
3,857 Posts
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts