ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I didn't know that was new technology. I know of a number of people using coated pistons, and most of them have done it for years.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I saw this a few years ago.

And the Massive Yet Tiny engine:

http://www.angellabsllc.com/index.html

Click the Animation link to see how it works. supposedly it puts out 850 HP and only weights 150 lbs. Let me be the first to say I would love to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I always sent my engine blocks off to have them Nikasil'd. Really made a difference in the resistance. With the block on a stand, with crank, rods and pistons installed, I could spin it by hand and watch it slow to a stop.

But, then again, that was on big outboard engines (2.4-3.4L V6 turning 9-10,000 rpm).

All the work was done by US Chrome of Wisconsin

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Friction reducing and thermal barrier coatings aren't new. If you're considering using coatings in your next engine build be sure to think about all the parts and how they must work together as a system. For example, if you coat just the piston tops it will reflect even more heat back to the valves which could be detrimental. You want to ensure that everything is well and evenly insulated to avoid hot spots. Coatings also add thickness which must be accounted for.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I've been E-mailing Swain back and forth about that, as I'm planning on sending them my pistons. I cant afford to have everything coated, and they advised that coting the pistons would be my best bet. One of the Protege guys on m.net did the same and it turned out well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts