ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a thread about my engine now using oil after a head swap. It looks like I am going to have to pull the engine and replace the pistons. I am planning to eventually install the FM turbo to get 250 RWHP so I am planning to get better rods, probably H-beams. The engine has 133K on it, so I'll probably have to bore and go with new pistons and rod and main bearings. So should I stay with cast, or install forged? It's my DD, but I'd like to do occasional track days.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
cast go with topline. they go up to 0.060" over. amazing quality product!
(definitely the better DD car option)

forged go with wiseco. they will make just about anything... 0.080" over? no problem lol just have fun boring that far over... (more of a purpose built track option)

everyone i've talked to recomends long skirt cast pistons for boost applications and lightweight racing skirt forged for naturally aspirated applications. but i've known plenty to run forged on boost. slap and blowby are the only concern there!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've been following your rebuilds and you sound like the guy who would know. Cast Topline it is. Who knows, I might get lucky and just have to get a hone. I doubt it, though- my luck has not been too good on this car of late. Even in that case, I'll go with the Toplines. I'm not looking for a big bore, just 1st over, and stay at the stock 9:1 CR. Any recommendations on bearings (main and rod)? I intend to turn the engine over to my machine shop, let them finish tearing down and measure, then order the parts and have them do the assembly on the lower end.

Have you considered doing a coolant reroute on your 1.8 build? It's super easy with the head off and looks great, and you get the chance to get rid of that ugly thermostat housing from the front of your head and replace it with a freeze plug. I'm talking about the Begi setup.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Forged pistons are fine in a DD if the machine shop knows what they are doing. If it's bored to the correct diameter, you shouldn't have any piston slap issues. I have had zero issues out of either of the 2 blocks I've built. One with Supertech pistons and one with JE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts