ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought freedomgli's exhaust a while back. I finally got around to making a video of the setup. Check it out here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bU3nmu-aP1o

The video doesn't really capture how loud the exhaust is. In all seriousness, I think the exhaust amplifies engine sound from 3-5k rpm.

I'm still piecing together my exhaust setup but I think when I go back under the car, to put on a new header, I'll put a resonator into the loop. In this video it has stock manifold with no cat.

My only other issue is a strange bark right at 3k rpm... other than that tone is fairly linear. I think with some experimentation it can be calmed down a bit.

It sounds wild right now... like a chainsaw on steroids :)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It appears you fixed the exhaust leak that I had due to a blown gasket. It still retains the race car tone but at a much quieter volume. The sound is really good with the windows up as the tone is throaty but not too loud. Windows down it sounds very familar to me. Did you end up using the hanger closest to catalytic converter and the rear bracket like I described or did you do something else?

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Bryan, Bjork....

Ummm, something isn't quite right about that.

jk, Bryan...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm off the resonator thing but it needs some tweaking. The headers are in the mail, I'll update when they're on.

Ya, Bjork. It felt right at the time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
the exhaust is very loud. if its not a daily driver i guess i can live with that exhaust. and i notice bjork too. my girlfriend loves bjork.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
well the only big deal is its almost as loud as a spec miata. well its probably not that loud but it certainly has the tone that can make your ears ring.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'm sorry to see that. How do you think it happened? Fatigue fracture? Perhaps it was the way it was mounted. When I got the exhaust it didn't have any instructions and I couldn't figure out how to mount the rear muffler hanger without welding a bracket to the underside of the trunk or drilling through the trunk floor (neither of which I wanted to do) so I fabricated a bracket to connect to the tow hook mount. IIRC, it still used the rubber isolaters but perhaps it put too much stress on the muffler canister.

You could just weld up the canister again but it will eventually fail, if not there then in another place. Personally, I thought that muffler was too loud. I wonder what the guts look like inside? If I were you I'd purchase a nice aftermarket muffler can, weld a flange on it or cut the old muffler off leaving some of the short pipe after the flange and weld it to that. The choices are endless. You could go with a single tip (like Zoom Engineering) or you could fine some nice long mufflers for that classic English look (Jaguar XKE). I think PCR did something similar with their later (earlier?) Clubman systems. For true baller status you could weld an ARC rear muffler section onto the exhaust or a nice HKS unit. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't use the bracket you supplied... I kept the rubber isolator bit and bolted it directly to the car as originally intended by pcr. I can take pictures of the setup next time I'm around the car.

It's kind of a bummer, I loved the look of the exhaust and the sound, while loud, had become a very enjoyable part of driving the car.

The pictures don't do justice of how completely the muffler failed... every weld is blown! I think it comes down to some serious resonance, back pressure and shoddy build quality.

I'm going to take it in for a patch job until I can find something new on YJ.

Was also tossing around the possibility of something custom built - square and maintaining the pcr dual tips. I've also sent an email to pcr... maybe they will be able to cut me a deal on a replacement rear section (fingers crossed).

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
update:

http://boneandsugar.googlepages.com/pitcrew

wha-wha-whaaaa :(

A good summer of driving and that's the end of the pitcrew.

I'm trying to find someone to repair it but so far it's not looking good. Where do I go from here? I don't want to go back to right side exit exhaust.
Wow, that looks like what happened to EVERYONE'S FIRST PITCREW, but mostly Marty's. You should see if they're replace it.

Fixed.

Ninja fixed :3

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Marty, Can you give me more information? Did you contact pitcrew? Did they do anything for you?

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Maybe the noise can cause fatique? I have a Ducati single that, after the muffler baffling blew out- the license plate developed cracks in several places! I don't know what causes it- but somehow it's noise related.

The quality of this Pitcrew exhaust looks pretty crappy though.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I thought the build quality was pretty good, actually (besides the fact that the muffler shell is damaged). It just looks crappy in those pictures because it's dirty.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.