ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pit Crew Racing Clubman Exhaust System Video

I called it the Clubman Type New since retrorocket has a Clubman exhaust that looks different and is no longer advertised by Pit Crew so I'll call his Type Old. The video looked much better on my PC. Google must have compressed it. I'll try hosting it elsewhere for optimal quality. Anyways, this video gives a good representation of what the exhaust sounds like. It is a straight design with no resonator and a small muffler at the end. It is loud. It sounds like a Spec Miata racer.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sounds a lot like my car...I have a really bad exhaust leak on a stock exhaust.

You pay all that money for an exhaust, and it doesn't even look good.

<---Happy for you, but definitely not a fan.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You pay all that money for an exhaust, and it doesn't even look good.

<---Happy for you, but definitely not a fan.
I understand. This exhaust is most definitely not for everyone. I bought it used off eBay. There are like 2 others in the entire USA and only one review on Miata.net that said it's one of the best exhausts made so there wasn't a lot to go on. Sometimes you just have to jump in and experiment. It is very unique looking since it doesn't exit from the factory location.

I like trying out new tuning parts to see what works, what doesn't, what makes me happy, and what's a waste of time. This exhaust IS very high-quality and built very well. It just doesn't suit me or my application very well. I'm sure that with a Greddy turbo it would sound totally different although it's only 50mm so it would restrict flow at higher outputs. I thought about modifying this one to change the tone. thebluepotato recommended that I do whatever I like to it since that's what they'd do in Japan - it's like a starting point for customization. Anyhow, the Roadster is going to the parents (what a nice son!) so the loud exhaust has to come off in favor of something friendlier so this is will be up for sale. Check the classifieds section later tonight.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I didn't capture sound at cruise. It's pretty docile below 3k rpm at cruise but between 3k and 4k it does drone. I think this might have to do with the custom laser cut bracket I fabricated to hold the rear muffler. It didn't come with any mounting provisions other than a rubber isolator and L-bracket so I made a bracket that connects to the rear tow hook mounting studs that allows for proper location adjustment. But since it's right below the trunk I think it contributes to drone sound even though I tried to isolate it from the body even further using weatherstripping. It only really gets loud when you step on the gas.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
out with the old in with the new

I pulled the PCR exhaust off today and found that the gasket between the catalytic converter and connecting pipe had failed causing an exhaust leak as evidenced by the dark soot on the flange. That probably explains some of the wierd noises like the hollow ringing at certain rpm but I think this exhaust would be loud regardless.

The Racing Beat exhaust sounds nice but I can only hear it at full throttle. It's maybe 10% as loud as the PCR. The RB does have a nice tone to it but it isn't as communicative on deceleration as I would like. I feel a bit like Goldielocks but I imagine I'd be happy with the soundtrack once I get some IRTBs.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Me like 8) .
You could get sothig like this to cover the exhaust hole.

It's from ILMotorsport.

PS - You can use Rapidshare.de to host your files.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My info indicates there are 5 of these in the USA....one Pitcrew owner near me was keeping track and could tell you every car/owner that had one at one point.
This exhaust is very nice sounding when used with a turbo....totally obnoxious without. But if that is ones goal then its perfect.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts