ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking and at random pictures of the M2-1001 online (very few available actually), and realize that I really like the looks of the gauge cluster in them. The tried and true classic look. The proper roadster look.

At any rate, I'm waiting for some stuff of mine to sell on CL, and once that happens, I want to find an old cluster that I can pull apart and custom fit a new panel with some nice aftermarket gauges, something like Stewart Warner, VDO or possibly even Smiths. The Smiths ones will be a very long stretch.

With the SW line, I'm looking at either the 6-piece Wing series or 7-piece Cobra series. In the Cobra series, I wouldn't use the Amp gauge.

With the VDO line, I'd use either the 6-piece Series 1. The only thing with these is that they say something about a Ford or Chevy transmission sender for the speedometer.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to do this. I've read that the NA cluster is actually quite basic and can be tapped into straight from the two wiring harnesses that plug into it. IF I do this, I'll take my time, make it look M2-1001 stock (or at least as close as possible) and have it so it is pretty much "plug & play".

Now I just need to find that NA cluster schematic again that I saw last night.

If any of you have done this, have more information on it, links, pics, whatever, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance! :wink:

M2-1002

V-Special

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Revlimiter makes gauges that look like these IIRC. I'd just have him do them as his price is quite reasonable and the results are excellent. As far as recreating the panel, that shouldn't be too hard to do. I think most of the hurdle will just be electrical work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sort of off-topic but not really as it relates to the panels above: What is the reasoning behind clocking the gauges off-center? Does it have to do with where you want the needle to be pointing under "normal" conditions? I know it goes all the way back to 1960's F1 cars but am curious if anyone actually knows why it's done...

I vote for the second pic by the way. If I were going to go to the trouble of installing completely custom gauges (not just faces) I'd arrange them differently than stock.

-Jason

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think it starts from the industrial/engineering world where someone might be looking at a panel with dozens/hundreds of gauges (let's say for example a power plant) and catching that one gauge out of spec is a lot easier if it's the only one not pointing up.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Thanks for mentioning my stuff y'all! I've not replied to this thread due to already posting on MR about this stuff. The thread there is much more lively.

Sort of off-topic but not really as it relates to the panels above: What is the reasoning behind clocking the gauges off-center? Does it have to do with where you want the needle to be pointing under "normal" conditions? I know it goes all the way back to 1960's F1 cars but am curious if anyone actually knows why it's done...

Yup. You clock the gauges to have the needle point somewhere at the optimal range. So, for the tach, you might want it to point at 12 o'clock at fuel cutoff. For the small gauges, you usually want it to point straight up when it's registering normally. If anything isn't pointing up at noon when you scan the gauges on a straight, you pay attention to it.

As for that crazy cluster pictured, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you set on the 1001 style, or would a 1002 be interesting? I own the 1002 cluster in your third pic, and by chance my design plans have changed enough that I won't be using it. PM me if you'd like to talk about it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would really like to do something like this as well but using stack instruments with a spec miata plate that was intended to install a aim cluster. I will then make the necessary cuts for the instruments and leds but i want to include an oil pressure gauge still in the cluster.

Similar to this but uitilizing a full Stack gauge set.

Rev,

Could you make gauge face's for the stacks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts