ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before everyone asks why I would think of such a thing, I figured I'd ask the guru's themselves first before I went and did something. :mrgreen: Ok, everyone knows about the plastic engine covers on our motors, but is there anyone running a DD without them on? I know there's no power benefit, and I know there's a possibility of road debris, but with the belly pan, doesn't that prohibit stuff from coming up under the car and flying into your motor? Not to mention the radiator and a/c condenser in front of the engine as well. The reason I ask is because I want the look of a motor, not plastic. Anyone?

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I dont run it, but it does aid in cooling. I dont run it because Im constantly working on car

·
Registered
514 Posts
im confused about what plastic cover you are talking about... the miatas dont have any plastic covers IIRC. Exception being the NC...

-Jeremy

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
LostSoulMiata: I'll take it if you throw it away, mine didn't come with one.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Your motor will get dirty much faster, the bellypan aids in radiator cooling according to miata.net, and has somewhat of an aeridynamic benefit by covering up alot of stuff.

And I don't see how this is going to benefit looks, since all you will see when you look down now is asphalt insted of darkness but if you like it then go for it. People have been running fine w/o it for a long time, some others claim a slight increase in running temp.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I've had mine off for a while because I drop a lot of screws and what not when I work on my car. I'll put it back on today now that's it's running today. I haven't overheated yet, but it is there for a reason so why not have it?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
ive taken them off of all the miatas Ive had( minus the turbo as it came without it) and ive never had a problem. Like Slutz4, im always working on the car and that crap just gets in my way.

·
Registered
514 Posts
ok belly pan... got ya.

I'm actually looking to have a shop fab me up a belly pan in sheetmetal cause mines all fucked up... (run in with a center divider on a rainy day ... ouch) took some zip ties to hold it up for now.

I wouldnt want to remove it because there looks to be some hoses hanging under the engine around the right side of it. They actually pretty much rest on the cover.

Just my two cents. :)

-Jeremy

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I have not had one for years. Its too much of a PITA to take off every time to change oil and work on it.. If it's the timing belt cover youre talking about, I have not had one of those for a while, either...

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
I think Andrew is talking about the timing belt covers on the front of the engine.

He mentioned that the belly pan helps prevent dirt and debris from coming up into the engine bay, minimizing the chance of damage were the timing belt covers to be removed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
ok if we are talkin about the plastic cover behind the waterpump and the cover where the timing sprokets are...no i dont have mine on either...same with the others i work on my car ALOT. infact it isnt even running right now due to overheating problems.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Justin and Tim got it right. I was planning on keeping the belly pan on since I'll be installing a remote oil filter on the engine, so it'll be no problem as far as oil changes go. I suppose I should have said timing belt cover in there somewhere #-o I was just seeing if there was anyone else that had done so. I'll be keeping them off the spare motor when the one I have in the car now gives up. Thanks guys!!

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts