Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 50 Size Profile

Votes: 6 17.6%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a favor to ask you all. I been searching around and really haven't found what I am looking for. I am in the market for a pair of rims for a 04 Mazdaspeed Miata. So, I have my NB and I want a good set of rims, but I really don't know what size rims I should get. I really don't want a big rim like the factory 17 since the low profile tires run like crap. I want to know if a 215(205 or 225)/45/16 would fit or will I have to go down to a 15inch rim and run a 45 or 50 profile tire. If you have any pics of your ride running 16 inch rim or 15, can you post them up. Thanks. I also have a poll so vote for a 15 inch or 16 on a NB. I also added which tire profile you think would be right for a NB. I read so much but really don't know since there are so many pictures and no sizes of there tires. Thanks.

·
Supporting Member
1,146 Posts
What are rims? ;)

I have 15x9 +36 with 225/45/15. Don't know if you remember when we were shooting the breeze at the BBQ. I'd be happy with 15x7 or 15x8 +25 205/50/15s too, maybe even moreso.

One question is what do you ultimately want to do with your car? If it's cruising around town looking good, a good lightweight 15x7 would be an awesome upgrade in ride quality.

Also, I'd recommend you buy two pairs of wheels so they all match up. ;)

·
··
4,227 Posts
Definitely do 16s. Is it lowered or planned to lower? Go with 215/40, I think a 45 sidewall would look good if its stock height. Google images ought to help you visualize. Hope he doesn't mind but check mk2tmr2's NB on the first page of the Fitment Thread.

·
Bimmer Challenge - B5
2,397 Posts
Look at tire prices. Then look at wheel weights. Then look for a wheel you like. Then you will know if you want 15s or 16s.

I voted 15" w/ 45 series. You car weighs over 2700lb w/ <190whp. Contact patch is your friend.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Definitely do 16s. Is it lowered or planned to lower? Go with 215/40, I think a 45 sidewall would look good if its stock height. Google images ought to help you visualize. Hope he doesn't mind but check mk2tmr2's NB on the first page of the Fitment Thread.
dude u mentioned is rocking 15x9 + 36 & 225/45/15

·
I <3 NY & Hate you
995 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YY, rims and wheels are the same concept to me for some reason. I do know they are call wheels, just for some odd reason, I say rims. PLUS, those rims you had didn't even look to be 15 inch. Yours are just odd looking for some reason.

If those are 225/45/15, then I not going that direction.

Adam, I looked up the Fitment Thread and looked at that one guys car, I really like the 16 with 45. It seams to fill up, and sit really good with the fenders.
I took Bob's advice and looked around for tires. Well, 215/45/16 basically don't exist or are really expensive. Its the same with 225, so I might just stick with a 205 since it more out there.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
If you into autocross or something that requires 15" tires, 15s are the way to go. This is a 15x9 +36 C3M with 225/45/15 (fills the same as a 15x8 +25).

I'd personally go with 16s if you don't need a specific tire selection. They look much better. 16x8 +20 or +25 with 205/45/16 (OEM NB2 size) tires. That looks killer on the NB platform.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's my old car, but

street, i love the look of 16s on the NB, these are on 215/40-16s, wheels are 16x8, +27

I don't have a good pic of my 15x8 +30, 225/45-15, i think they were RA1s... if i remember
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ej20wagon/4723669582/

Photo credit to my buddy Eddy on the 2nd shot

·
Supporting Member
1,146 Posts
YY, rims and wheels are the same concept to me for some reason. I do know they are call wheels, just for some odd reason, I say rims. PLUS, those rims you had didn't even look to be 15 inch. Yours are just odd looking for some reason.
I'm obligated to give you ****. :mrgreen: Yep, mine are 15 for sure. What do you mean odd looking?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm obligated to give you ****. :mrgreen: Yep, mine are 15 for sure. What do you mean odd looking?
YY, I think it your right height. the rims seam to be out a tad farther and the height is not where I think it should be, I like GreenYellow more. OR IT JUST COULD BE YELLOW AND SILVER DON'T GO TOGETHER :fp:

GreenYellow, more or less on the autocross, I just wanna do it for more for fun. I race SCCA Spec Miata and well, I only get to do that once a month if I have the money, and only raced Sebring, Homestead, and Daytona. I just want more driving time. More time in driving instead of more time with a cop behind me for reckless driving in a parking lot. The only driving time I really have is in a Quarter Midget. It circle track racing and I was a state champion and top contender on the east coast, but running something like a full size car is much different when you go from 5 HP to 120 HP and up. SO, I am wanting to go out and learn. It is sad though when I can go out and run Skip Barber instructors in karts and outrun them.

But will a 205 fit a 8 inch rim, that would be starting to stretch it then. or would I be better off staying with a 7 inch wide rim? I noticed by looking on tirerack, nobody really makes a street tire when it 215 or 225 on 45r16. but there are plenty of 205/45r16 out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts