ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know about replacing the seal around the windshield. Mine seems ok, but i get leaks at both corners, and I have found water on the inside passenger kickpanel. also, somehow water has made it into the rockerpanel on the passenger side. I can hear is sloshing around when I drive, and it is leaking all over the floor. Does anyone have any ideas about the seal? would running a bead of gasket sealant around the inside of the seal help?

On the plus side, I had and excuse to remove the carpet on the passenger side.

Thanks for the help!

·
Supporting Member
12,272 Posts
i get leaks at both corners, and I have found water on the inside passenger kickpanel.
Have you confirmed for certain that the water leak is stemming from a failure of the windshield seal? In the Miata the windshield is held in place and seals out the elements using an adhesive sealant. The outer gasket is simply for cosmetic purposes and to reduce wind noise. Rarely does the adhesive seal fail resulting in windshield leak. If it does the only repair is to completely remove the windshield by cutting the adhesive, cleaning up the windshield frame mating surface, apply a new bead of sealant, and reinstall the window and let the glue cure. Water in the passenger footwell is most often the result of clogged A/C evaporator drain.

also, somehow water has made it into the rockerpanel on the passenger side. I can hear is sloshing around when I drive, and it is leaking all over the floor.
This is a very common issue. There is a seam that runs along the bottom of each rocker panel. There are two small drains along this seam that sometimes get clogged or pinched shut. Gently open them back up with a small screwdriver.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s034_94.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I was getting ready to resort to drilling small drain holes to let the water out. The water dripping is from the weatherstripping around the windshield frame. I don't think I was very clear when I posted before. It is not from the windshield seal. I think I am going to remove the weather stripping and run a small bead of gasket under it to seal it up better.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I just recently had the same problem, and i found this post. Big help thanxxxx.
Does anyone know how water gets in the rocker panel in the 1st place? Is there a way to prevent it?
Its a common problem to end up with water in your rocker panels. There are drain holes that sometimes get clogged which you need to check periodically and keep clear.

Check where the jack hooks to the frame rail. (You can find it in you owners manual if your not sure.) Each side of where the jack hits the frame rail is where the drain holes for the rocker panel are located. There is a front and rear location for the jack. Use an open paper clip and wiggle it around until the drain unclogs.

See also the Service Bulletin on this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.