ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I picked up a Miata for cheap a couple months ago and the previous owner had some interesting exterior inspiration. He molded the Garage Vary Rear Finish Panel into the rear of the car. Thankfully, he resisted molding it into the bumper. From a distance it doesn't look bad and to the average joe, it could probably pass for OEM. Upon closer inspection, the surface around the joint looks visibly rough. It would appear he didn't have the patience to prep the area properly before painting it. I've attached some pictures below. The PO painted the car and externally it's a mess so the car is going in for paint in the next couple of months. Before paint, I would prep the exterior myself.

Question is, should I leave the seamless finish and just smooth it out, or should I try to excavate it from the depths of the bondo? I'm leaning to the former option. Issue is, it kind of feels ricey to have in molded into the body. Is it even possible to remove it without finding the seam and cutting it out? I obviously don't want to ruin the GV Panel. Do you think'd be worth the effort? I think I'm the only car running this look and that might be contributing to my low self esteem towards the look. It'd probably look more tolerable finished.

From a distance

Close driver

Close passenger

·
I have poop issues.
1,588 Posts
Re: Previous owner molded GV Rear into body. Help

I've always wondered how this would look, any why it's not done more frequently. If he didn't do such a poor job, it would actually look great.

My newb question of the day: Is there any reason one would ever need to remove the finish panel for some kind of maintenance?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Agreed on leaving it flush and just cleaning up the work. No reason to remove the finish panel, to my knowledge, for anything other than if it was damaged or trunk/rear quarters.

I have a set of eBay taillights that I plan on doing what another member did and filling the uneven areas for a sort of Zoom Engineering, Simpson Design look and if it looks good I plan on molding it into the finish panel but not the rear quarters.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Just clean it up and make it flush. If done properly, it looks great.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It looks good to me, like everyone else says touch it up if you are picky about it, but I think it looks JDM tyte yo.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I think it looks better and less tacked on when molded.

Seems some guys have trouble getting the panel to sit flush to begin with, so the sides stick out from the body line. Looks bad that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts