ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Probably not; it's not that kind of paint. But you can probably make it look better, and more uniform, by polishing it.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I don't think so. A satin paint isn't satin because of a rough surface, it has a matte additive mixed into the paint or it's clear coat. You could try spraying a gloss clear coat over it, I'm not sure how well the color will turn out though. The color might look a bit faded, try it out on like your head light lid first, or gas lid, to see what happens.

Was it a real automotive grade satin job, or rattle canned rustolium? If it was rattle canned you should try and figure out what type of paint was used certain paints don't play well together, they can reject each other and will cause bubbling in the clear coat.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've done it to make parts of the car "flow better." You'll kill yourself before you get the entire car to look the way you want it. It's a good thing to do to an old painted vintage wall clock, not the entire car. Like this guy^ said, do it to a small part first and make your decision.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was rattle canned with car paint. not sure which type. i just polished a bit up on my old bmx frame (sprayed with the same paint) it came up surprisingly glossy but i think the whole car would be a lot of work and i would likely polish through the paint in some areas.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Sounds like you should just cover it in a gloss clear coat. You'll probably want to have it properly sprayed with a gun though. Canned clear sucks, it's soft and it fogs up. Clear really needs a hardener mixed into it right before spraying.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sounds like you should just cover it in a gloss clear coat. You'll probably want to have it properly sprayed with a gun though. Canned clear sucks, it's soft and it fogs up. Clear really needs a hardener mixed into it right before spraying.
Most of that crap turns yellow too. It's garbage for projects that need to look good and sit outside in the sun all year. Gun is way to go. Get a starter kit from Harbor Freight or something. It'll be dirt cheap and tons of fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts