ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I want to have my hood done up exactly like this

I figure I'll polish the top side and leave the bottom side painted. Maybe a brushed finish would work better since it'd be easier to maintain and wouldn't show minor imperfections as much. Can anyone recommend any tips for a DIY'er like what to start with (aircraft stripper) and what grit sand papers to use (wet/dry)? I also recall seeing a website that showed how to make your own custom louvers but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a link?

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
cool idea, would look good. although Im sure glare would be a bitch on that thing.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
i wonder how much weight you can shave with no paint? I remember Nielex's demo car had the hood, and the trunk polished like that.

Looks good, i like the rims too.

PhatMiata

·
1,213 Posts
i wonder how much weight you can shave with no paint? I remember Nielex's demo car had the hood, and the trunk polished like that.

Looks good, i like the rims too.

PhatMiata
the old Nielex demo car with the polished hood rocked ... didn't quite get the red door trim panels with the tan interior though :?

... one mistake putting a louvre in and you're looking for a new hood !!!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've talked with a guy who owns a Morgan with a brushed aluminum bonnet and he tells me glare isn't bad with the brushed finish since it dulls reflections. I saw a Kirkham Cobra in person with a brushed aluminum body and it looked incredible. It didn't blind me as I drove by giving a big thumbs up. The polished looks so good but seems like a lot of maintenance to keep looking nice.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,994 Posts
Maintenance concerns are the other thing that'd scare me away. Heaven forbid you become one of those guys who wipes his car down everytime he stops ;)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never! I love driving too much to be one of those guys. I just washed my car for the first time in 2 months the other day. Then again, I did also spend 8 hours painting the rockers, claybaring, and doing the whole Mothers 1-2-3 by hand. I think the brushed finish only requires an occassional touch up with a quick wipe of the scotch brite pad.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Ask a Delorean owner if its fun keeping a polished metal body looking good. I've seen a fair few where the owner has given up, and got the car painted.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Of course, if you're feeling extravagant, you could take a pattern bonnet, which are steel, and have it chrome plated. Is it possible to chrome plate a large piece like that? Would weigh a ton though.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.hotrodlouvers.com/

Fergie says that you've got to remove the skeletal support structure underneath the skin to do louvers. That seems like a lot of work and would involve removing numerous spot welds and then welding it back in place when done. I has hoping that I could just make the necessary cuts and use a spoon, body dolly, or special die to help me form them without needing to buy special bead roller/cutters or doing extensive work. I guess there's a reason why this mod is so unique.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then again, the cost of prefab louver punches has me thinking about having the hood sent out to a professional metal working shop.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,994 Posts
If I were gonna do it, Kyle...I'd farm this one out. Louvering is kind of a lost art, from what I can see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stainless vs aluminum... not sure which would be less trouble.
Dependin on the grade of SS it won't corrode , Alum when in raw form will corrode it make a white powder but a SS with a high iron and low chrome will rust , than theres the weight issue , SS even if it doesn't rust is still steel just has a few extra ingredinets , chrome and nickle which are both kinda heavy too , Alum saves lots of weight and a nice 6065 or even a 7075 will hold up for a long time and if you clear coat them they'll hold thier finish but , then you'd be right back to where you started , an MX5 already has an alum bonnet and painted whatever the car is .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Look I ain't bashin or nuthin this is IMHO , I think the hood doesn't look all that great , hell the fit kinda sux , if you look at the pic its to long and doesn't fit right and maybe if the louvers were at an angleand alittle smaller , then maybe IMHO I would like them but as it stand who ever did that job didn't do a very good job , or maybe even the lack of paint , either way I would rather have a C/F hood and I don't like them either .

But hay man whatever floats your boat .

1 - 20 of 65 Posts