ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I think they are all in shock that someone would strip the paint off a perfectly good hood. :D

He has some more wetsanding to do, once it is done it will be a mirror finish like mine. The wonders of Mothers billet polish, a compounding pad and a polisher :D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
actually i like it better on the miata. it looks out of place on an rx-8. blingy in a bad way. i'm pretty sure if you had some different wheels it would complete the look more. It goes well with the mirrors

·
OG Member
583 Posts
:| it looks decent on his RX8, not particularly great on your spray canned looking miata
I disagree,I think it looks great on your car, nor does it look spray canned because of how even it looks (unlike spray can).

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. I would prefer it with a more brushed finish though. Looks great with the blue on the rx8 and the flat black with the shiny hood contrasts well too.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I love you! I've wanted to do this to my car ever since I saw this Roadster but I:
  1. Don't have a buffer
  2. Don't have the time
  3. Don't have the patience
  4. Don't have the skill
Both the RX-8 and your car look superb. Can you please post more pics of your Roadster in higher resolution? Keep up the good work.

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
I really like it. It just soooo different than ANY thing I've ever seen before. So all you did was
- Strip Paint
- Polish with Mothers

What about stopping it from oxidizing? Is there a clear coat or protector of any kind?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If it's polished good enough the rust can't stick to it. There's nothing for the rust to grab onto because it's so slippery. Bare aluminum forms an oxide layer but it isn't orange/brown like iron oxide on steel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I like it... I wouldnt do it to my car, but i like the idea. Kinda reminds me of that totally chromed out BMW something or other i saw somewhere on the net a while back.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow... glad it got a better response here then on the RX-8 forum.... The steps are really easy... use paint stripper on the hood, scape/wash off the loose paint, reapply if necessary, then wet sand, I think speedhole used 600/800/1500 grit sand paper then polish, I just used 1500 and polish, but will be resanding the whole hood. If you have a buffer and the right pads its relatively easy to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is just like what Zum Zum said,.

Stip paint with a paint stripper, wet sand. I used 800, 1000, 1500, then polish with mothers. I just now got the polisher, but the hood has been like this for almost a year. I originally polished by hand. It takes some time, but i think it is worth it. I have repolished it twice, only because washing and general driving left very fine scratches. Same wear as you get on any daily driven paint.

The under side of the hood is flat black, spray canned like the rest of the car.

As for the reflections, unless you are standing three feet from the car, or maybe if you are in a tall suv sitting beside me at the light, there is not a bad reflection. Any real reflections are sent vertical, so it does not bother other drivers. On a clear day the hood actually looks bluish white due to reflections from the sky.

I figured everyone here would respond better than the RX8 board and I was right :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts