ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone here be interested in a (paid) service in which I would shave off and polish away the unsightly wax-collecting raised writing on the OEM taillights and corner markers that usually look like this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
No disrespect, but it's a 10 minute job that doesn't need the clusters removing. Unless you're willing to travel, I can't see why anyone would want their car off the road for 3-4 days for something so trivial an non-time consuming.

Mine done here,
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2254905/2

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job!

Though I imagine members of this forum are more the DIY type, not everyone out there is as handy as you and I are and would rather have someone else do some things for them.

Just offering to help out fellow Roadster enthusiasts!

Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
so how much are you charging :lol:

and i hope that's not what they will look like when they are done...
I doubt it cosidering the service is to remove the lettering, and the lettering is there ;)

They'll look like mine do in my cardomain site

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is one of mine. It took me a lot more than 10 minutes, but I think they turned out well. I do need to polish them one more time with a little bit finer grit.

·
3,857 Posts
So guys what number grit sand paper you used?
I never done that because I was afraid that I'll make their suraface less shiny...
Did you do the whole surface - so that it would look even - or only the letters?

BTW I forgot to tell you than now al of you are illigal :p
I think I'll call the cops in the next miata meeting :mrgreen:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need a professional buffer to get it shiny like new after sanding it down. When I do a lens it looks like new and was made w/o the writing.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'd consider paying you for it especially since I know it takes more effort than I'm willing to personally invest to get decent results. The "how to" on the other board says it's so easy and only takes 10-15 minutes per lense (liars!) but everytime I've tried projects like this I've been dissapointed in my craftsmanship. I'd rather be chasing tail than making them with my free time.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yeah, I think that most of us here are more of the DIY type.... I did a shave job on my Tails before I blacked them out... and I've done the same thing to my headlights to remove some of the pitting from years of use....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I tried to suggest this mod to a wine and cheeser of the local Miata club and they looked at me like I was crazy. Their car looked like crap with all the caked up wax on the tails and side markers.

As for Bill's service. Ummm.. good luck with that. It really is an easy job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i read the garage section of miata.net, then did it myself. i went 400 grit over the letters, then 800,1000,2000 wet sanding the entire thing(one direction, never circles) then heavy(red) polish, finishing(white) polish, then carnuba wax. mirror finish, minimal light flare, nice and bright, easy to clean. it gets tough to see your sanding once you get to 1000/2000 grit, i did the 800 and the 2000 horizontally, and the 1000 in vertical strokes so i could see when i got rid of all the marks.

it did take a bit of time, and it would be worth paying someone if your time is worth more than mine, or if you can get money faster by doing something other than manual labor.

i wonder if anyone has tried novus 1-2-3 on them after the shave.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just deleted mine, nice and smooth now! :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts