ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked for an explanation on how I polished the headlight lenses on my NB..... So I figured I'd do a writeup on the process I used.....

First off, I claim no responsibility if this doesn't work for you, or if you damage the lights in the process.... The light output of yur vehicle is very important, and therefore this is not for the faint of heart!

That said..... this is what I did to cure the pitting, scratching, and hazing my lights showed after 40k of use.....

You will need these materials, or equivalents..... 800 grit wet sandpaper, 1000 grit wet sandpaper, 1500 grit wet sandpaper, 2000 grit wet sandpaper (and if you have access to finer grits, it can only help!), a soft backed sanding block, a bucket of CLEAN water, 3M rubbing compound, Meguiars #17 and #10 plastic cleaner and polish, an appropriately sized mechanical bufing tool ( I used a mothers buff ball), some towels for drying and compound removal, AND A FEW HOURS TO SPARE!

1. Remove the lights from the car! This makes things much easier in the long run, and allows you to work indoors, and away from the paint on the car....

2. GET SET UP SOMEWHERE WHERE THE FLOOR CAN GET DAMP, AND YOU DON'T MIND GETTING DAMP ALSO

3. Clean the lenses thouroughly

4. First begin by lightly wetsanding the lenses with the wet 800 grit paper on a soft block. You will want to make sure that you sand evenly, drying the light off every minute or so to check that all is well and that things are getting sanded evenly. Continue sanding until the whole lense is hazy and the surface is even and free of about 98% of the defects you were trying to remove.

5. Wipe the lenses dry and then proceed to wetsand them using the same process detailed above, with the 1000 grit paper. Continue this process using the finer and finer grits of paper until you have reached the finest available grit; making sure to dry and inspect the lenses for even sanding and the dissapearance of the previous grits' scratches

6. When you are satisfied with the smoothness of your lenses, and have gone thrugh all the available grits of paper you have.... we can begin the buffing process!

7. It is best to have a gullible buddy hold the lights for you while you buff them out.... as this is a messy process, and you don't want the lights flying around!

8. Start with the rubbing compound, I used 3M's product meant for removing 2000 grit scratches. Be sure not to stay in one area too long, as you do not want to heat the plastic too much and cause discoloration or warping. Use a Low speed setting on your weapon of choice, as your goal here is not to completely polish the lenses, but to remove the haze caused by the progressive sanding.

9. When you are satisfied that the polishing potential of the compound is reached, you can move on to the next product. Make sure to remove all of the prevois compound from the lights and clean+ dry them before the next step, or you will be fighting the old compound and getting Nowhere

10. Move on to the #17 "clear plastic cleaner", MAKING SURE THAT YOU HAVE ALSO EITHER SWITCHED BUFFING PADS/BALLS, OR THOROUGHLY CLEANED AND DRIED YOUR PREVIOUS ONE. You can use a bit higher speed with the #17, but again make sure not to heat things up too much. Again continiue until it seems that you have reached a point where things aren't getting any clearer

11. Clean and dry the lights and buffing apparatus again, and move on to the #10 "clear plastic polish" , again you can inrease the speed of the buffer a bit, as you are nearly at the final step. You want the lights to be as clear as possible in this step! If they aren't clear, you may have to re- start the buffing process all over!

12. When things are looking great, spend a bit more time with the # 10 on the buffer, and then put some on a microfiber cloth and hand buff things a bit to satisfy yourself further

13. Clean up and re-install the lights! You're done! =D> Hopefully your lights look brand spankin new by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this was helpful! I'm glad to answer any questions!

Ken

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YES THAT IS TRUE.....but if your lights are pitted and scratched like mine were..... then it doesn't work as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts