ClubRoadster.net banner

1101 - 1120 of 1127 Posts

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,800 Posts
Increasingly deep echo chambers brought about by social media.

The invention of internet comments was a mistake.
It’s a cess pool alright. I’m only on 2 forms of social media - Facebook and LinkedIn - and the ONLY thing keeping me on Facebook is that I use it as a gloried RSS feed for news. I’m perpetually a half step from opting out of all of it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I don't think Jake is wrong in saying convenience is an issue.

Globalism is an issue in that it was just another thing for nationalist chuds to use in their ever expanding quiver of identity politics topics to incite fear and hate.

·
9,800 Posts
The problem is that we haven’t defined a “problem” that “convenience” has caused. If monopolies or concentration of wealth are the “problem,” then free market capitalism with limited regulation is the cause. We (as a country) need to be clear and specific when discussing problems, causes, and solutions, otherwise we end up yelling obscure nonsense at each other that has nothing to do with either argument.

As for globalism - it was a foregone conclusion, neither an inherent problem or solution. Our “status” within a globalized society is one of privilege so I’m not sure, exactly, what Jake’s complaining about.

Again, speaking in vague buzzwords isn’t helping your point, and certainly doesn’t further us toward a solution, if needed.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The problem is that we haven’t defined a “problem” that “convenience” has caused. If monopolies or concentration of wealth are the “problem,” then free market capitalism with limited regulation is the cause. We (as a country) need to be clear and specific when discussing problems, causes, and solutions, otherwise we end up yelling obscure nonsense at each other that has nothing to do with either argument.

As for globalism - it was a foregone conclusion, neither an inherent problem or solution. Our “status” within a globalized society is one of privilege so I’m not sure, exactly, what Jake’s complaining about.

Again, speaking in vague buzzwords isn’t helping your point, and certainly doesn’t further us toward a solution, if needed.
What vague buzzwords am I using?

Nationalist chuds (confrontational jingoistic dudes who wear American flag clothing, shout RESPECT OUR TROOPS from the rooftops, etc.) love to talk about globalism as bad (they took our jobs, they're invading our country, etc.).

Their other identity politics topics of choice often include their status as (a skewed vision of ) Christians, White, heterosexual/cis, anti-choice, etc.

I'm not an enemy of globalism, I think the only great path forward is a transnational movement opposing capitalism. I'm just stating that globalism provides more options for bad faith operators to weaponize.

Issues convenience causes:
-People seem less inclined to do research
-Tons of single use plastic/wasted materials
-The Wall-e-fication of the world.

·
9,800 Posts
What vague buzzwords am I using?

Nationalist chuds (confrontational jingoistic dudes who wear American flag clothing, shout RESPECT OUR TROOPS from the rooftops, etc.) love to talk about globalism as bad (they took our jobs, they're invading our country, etc.).

Their other identity politics topics of choice often include their status as (a skewed vision of ) Christians, White, heterosexual/cis, anti-choice, etc.

I'm not an enemy of globalism, I think the only great path forward is a transnational movement opposing capitalism. I'm just stating that globalism provides more options for bad faith operators to weaponize.

Ah, yes - I remember Joe Biden’s campaign promise to immediately propose the Anti-Wall-e-fication bill to Congress, if elected.

Literally half of the words you just wrote as perceived as vague buzz words to most people. It also doesn’t help your case to cast your entire opposition in a singular light.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,420 Posts

This. It bothers me that the US is 100% capable of self sustaining and yet here we are funding sweatshops overseas for our Nikes and likely the Adidas I'm wearing right now.

·
9,800 Posts
This. It bothers me that the US is 100% capable of self sustaining and yet here we are funding sweatshops overseas for our Nikes and likely the Adidas I'm wearing right now.
You’re proposing a closed borders economic system, which benefits neither us nor anybody else. Other countries are better suited to manufacture any number of things better / cheaper / etc. than we can - they should do that, and we shouldn’t.

Your true problem seems to be the working conditions tolerated by our trading partners, and, while I agree that many are downright abhorrent, those conditions are not going to change overnight. We need to do a better job of requiring American companies to support higher (and incrementally evolving) standards, but that requires increased regulation of American companies by the US government - not closed borders.

And ^this is what I’m talking about when I push back against being “vague.” Convenience isn’t a problem, nor anything that needs to be “solved” as a political issue - it’s a market demand that’s being met by free market innovation. That innovation may be creating other issues, and those need to be explicitly named and discussed, otherwise your message will be lost.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You place your faith within the existing corporate capitalist system.

I’ve seen enough to know that system will never do anything but exploit people, the environment, governments, etc.

·
9,800 Posts
Did I say anything about my ideal system? No. We’re in the system that we’re in, and separate from the folks who hold power in that current system deciding that it needs to change, its the system we’re stuck with.

·
9,800 Posts
DeSantis has been watching Fear City on Netflix it seems. Problem is, demonstrations by the people aren’t the same as Mob violence.

·
Murse Magnet
7,615 Posts
DeSantis has been watching Fear City on Netflix it seems. Problem is, demonstrations by the people aren’t the same as Mob violence.
Honestly. It’s gotten to the point where it’s exhausting putting on the news or reading about the news online. It’s just so much all the time with no end in sight with how much of a decline our society seems to be having.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
People are isolated and seem to seek out news that gives them something to fear or be angry at.

Which only makes things worse. That and the absolute brain poisoning that occurs in Facebook groups. QAnon, blue lives matter stuff, etc., it seems to grab hold of otherwise reasonable folks and manipulates certain feelings that linger within them and completely brainwash them.

·
Murse Magnet
7,615 Posts
My concern is that even after the election these people,ideas, thoughts, and more importantly hate aren't going away. These people that used to be our nice and friendly neighbors are some of the people that are most filled with hate and it sickens and saddens me.

·
9,800 Posts
I think it’s wrong to frame this as a new problem. Your neighbors always felt this way - or were predisposed to feeling this way - and the internet, news media, and recent events have only served to further entrench folks into their beliefs.

To me, it is clearly an issue of open- vs. closed-mindedness, binary vs non-binary. We simply will not succeed if folks continue to become increasingly disconnected, closed-minded and binary (i.e. everything black or white, right or wrong, no gray area).

As a society, we need to understand that what we think we KNOW about current events may be wrong, or only part of a much bigger picture, and that our interpretation of those events is similarly based upon a wrong or incomplete history.

We need sources of truth. We need people to engage. We need people to think critically. We have the opposite, and many powerful folks are doing everything they can to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I think it’s wrong to frame this as a new problem. Your neighbors always felt this way - or were predisposed to feeling this way - and the internet, news media, and recent events have only served to further entrench folks into their beliefs.

To me, it is clearly an issue of open- vs. closed-mindedness, binary vs non-binary. We simply will not succeed if folks continue to become increasingly disconnected, closed-minded and binary (i.e. everything black or white, right or wrong, no gray area).

As a society, we need to understand that what we think we KNOW about current events may be wrong, or only part of a much bigger picture, and that our interpretation of those events is similarly based upon a wrong or incomplete history.

We need sources of truth. We need people to engage. We need people to think critically. We have the opposite, and many powerful folks are doing everything they can to keep it that way.
it's definitely not a new problem, but there are a lot of people who mightve been on the fence regarding an issue, and the first opinions/"facts" they see will put them over the edge. even though they might mostly feel otherwise, you cannot undo a first impression. the anonymity of the internet and physical separation from human suffering brings people to forget that there are actual, living people behind the numbers and headlines. white people wont empathize with distant suffering until it gets made into a movie.

i recently saw a pragerU repost blaming "the left" for systemic racism ("if it exists, which it doesn't"), of course the comments echoed the same thing. like you fucking nimrods, have you listened to anything this president has said? he tried to ban Muslim people from entering the country, and has ice detention centers. no, democrats can't manage race relations worth a ****, but at least they try sometimes.

·
9,800 Posts
Editorial isn’t a new thing, though, and those comments reflect only a small portion of people - most aren’t nearly that engaged with the news.

Doesn’t make it right, but it’s covered by freedom of speech - can’t do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
None of this stuff is new.

BUT the far right/fascists have an ever expanding bag of tools with which to spread their bile.

Police in Louisville arresting hundreds of peaceful protestors because the right wing in this country would rather charge lawful citizens than murderous police.

·
9,800 Posts
Re: insurance

Insurance is a shared risk pool. Smaller pool generally means higher (and more variable) premiums - for instance, if you’re in a pool of 10 people and somebody gets cancer, guess who’s premiums are going up?

ACA tried to moderate this by making coverage mandatory - providing a theoretically large pool, right? Sure, except that it’s a pool of currently not covered folks who are therefore likely sicker, as a general rule, than folks who have insurance and access to care. Add to this that pools were state specific, insurers were allowed to take profits on their offerings, insurers could decline to participate in regional pools (leading to monopolies / single options), and the insured is responsible for full cost of premium (less a tax credit for only select few folks, which compares not at all to the portion of premiums that an employer might pay)... and it became obviously overwhelmingly expensive for folks at outset.

THEN, given the cost, only the sickest would enroll because it was only advantageous for them, whereas healthy people paid the much lower penalty and took their chances, and premiums continued to spiral upward.

So what does Trump do? He removes the coverage mandate. While this relieves healthy people from the burden of paying a tax penalty for not being covered, it doesn’t **** to address affordability - particularly for sick people who need the coverage.

There are plenty of ways to make these plans (and insurance system as a whole) more affordable, but none of them are palatable to all Republicans and most Democrats (aside from only the most progressive). Our government leaders would rather we continue with private coverage for folks who are fortunate enough to have it, and let the rest fend for themselves. Cool.

·
Murse Magnet
7,615 Posts
Adding to everything you just described, using myself as an example, I have insurance through my parents and according to Florida statute, I am entitled to coverage until age 30. However, since my mom's employer uses a self-funded insurance policy, they don't have to abide by the Florida statute so I get booted off of their coverage come late October. But, the policy just renewed this September. So in order for me to go to the doctor and get labs and testing I have to max out my out of pocket deductible before insurance starts helping, which won't happen in just a few months. Then i get booted off so any money toward the deductible won't ever give me a benefit. Then I need to do a special enrollment into the healthcare marketplace. No idea if after use the special enroll if my deductible starts over again come January 1st. So I am in limbo where I have insurance but it is useless I am in the ER.

Isn't America's healthcare system the greatest?

·
9,800 Posts
Your deductible will start over again if you switch coverage. Whatever you’ve paid through your parents policy from September - October WILL count toward them satisfying their deductible, however.

And yes, self-insured plans pre-empt state requirements. Federal dependent coverage age limit is 26. Florida happens to have imposed a state-level limit of 30, but, given pre-emption of self-insured plans, this only applies to fully-insured plans.

Generally only smaller employers (<1000 employees) will buy fully-insurer plans, so most are subject to federal law here.

EDIT: Insurance is my career and I find all of this to be insane and impossibly complicated to navigate. Single-payer system would likely make me unemployed, but it’s just about the only thing to solve this mess. Employers should not have the burden of paying for employee healthcare.

1101 - 1120 of 1127 Posts