ClubRoadster.net banner

1121 - 1140 of 1171 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,710 Posts
Your deductible will start over again if you switch coverage. Whatever you’ve paid through your parents policy from September - October WILL count toward them satisfying their deductible, however.

And yes, self-insured plans pre-empt state requirements. Federal dependent coverage age limit is 26. Florida happens to have imposed a state-level limit of 30, but, given pre-emption of self-insured plans, this only applies to fully-insured plans.

Generally only smaller employers (

EDIT: Insurance is my career and I find all of this to be insane and impossibly complicated to navigate. Single-payer system would likely make me unemployed, but it’s just about the only thing to solve this mess. Employers should not have the burden of paying for employee healthcare.
Unfortunately my insurance deductibles didn’t count toward my parents deductibles. My dad met much more than his deductible last year and they still made me meet a separate deductive because somehow our policy had individual deductibles.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,963 Posts
That’s called an embedded deductible plan - essentially there are two different types of deductible: one for the family, and one for each individual plan member. If the family deductible is reached, then all members have reached. If an individual meets their deductible, but the family hasn’t reached their deductible, then the individual gets coverage but the other family members continue to pay 100% (pre-deductible phase).

BTW, the same applies to your annual out of pocket maximum - it can be either embedded or non-embedded, and doesn’t have to use the same logic as your deductible.

EDIT: So this year your spend will count toward their aggregate family deductible but not toward meeting their individual deductibles.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
my #1 reason to save money is for the chance i get sick. im on my dad's work insurance right now, i'm booted off it in a couple years. it isnt great to begin with, but god my biggest fear is having to go broke because i get sick. i would love to go to therapy or see a dermatologist for things that aren't dire, but that is a luxury i do not have.

also, **** regulation of drug companies making insurance a necessity. medicine just shouldnt be so damn expensive, man.

·
9,963 Posts
Drug prices are just one factor of many, many factors that contribute to the high costs of healthcare in this country, and insurance would be a necessity even if drugs were free.

·
9,963 Posts
Since were talking about drugs, this is a good article about the promise of “foreign drug imports” being cheaper.

Spoiler alert: They’re only cheaper because the government actively negotiates the prices, because the government pays for healthcare. Many of the same manufacturers that supply drugs to other countries, also supply drugs here. They make less profit on drugs sent elsewhere, so they put higher prices on drugs here to make up lost profit.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Since were talking about drugs, this is a good article about the promise of “foreign drug imports” being cheaper.

Spoiler alert: They’re only cheaper because the government actively negotiates the prices, because the government pays for healthcare. Many of the same manufacturers that supply drugs to other countries, also supply drugs here. They make less profit on drugs sent elsewhere, so they put higher prices on drugs here to make up lost profit.

I appreciate you making the point that private insurance (and anything other than a government managed single payer healthcare system) is never going to address the issues facing Americans.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,510 Posts
I can't even. One simple post about how it is fairly concerning that Trump, by his own admission even, owes hundreds of millions of dollars to overseas banks via loans that are coming due during what would be his next term. I post about that and that exclusively and Trump stans show up yelling about how everybody evades taxes, it's perfectly normal, this is just the next "obama's birth certificate" and is no big deal, what about hillary's emails, etc. etc.

All they can do is throw more strawman arguments at you than can be comprehended and then act like they won the argument. It's baffling.

The Hillary email thing is particularly hilarious because Ivanka and Kushner both, by their lawyer's admission, use unofficial means to communicate official business with foreign representatives. Lock 'em up, I guess?

·
9,963 Posts
It's a cult my guy.
No, it’s just people doing what people do - using limited information to justify their position while putting up blinders to anything that might make them wrong / look foolish.

I suppose this is why cults form in the first place, but there are many, many people who would very easily fall into this same ignorance trap given the same conditions.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i am so exhausted by biased media from both sides. finding a legit news source (that doesnt conveniently leave out facts or attack the opposing side) is way more difficult than it should be. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i am so exhausted by biased media from both sides. finding a legit news source (that doesnt conveniently leave out facts or attack the opposing side) is way more difficult than it should be. any suggestions?
I'm a fan of Al-Jazeera. Their coverage outside of Qatari politics is generally quite good.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,276 Posts
I can't even. One simple post about how it is fairly concerning that Trump, by his own admission even, owes hundreds of millions of dollars to overseas banks via loans that are coming due during what would be his next term. I post about that and that exclusively and Trump stans show up yelling about how everybody evades taxes, it's perfectly normal, this is just the next "obama's birth certificate" and is no big deal, what about hillary's emails, etc. etc.

All they can do is throw more strawman arguments at you than can be comprehended and then act like they won the argument. It's baffling.

The Hillary email thing is particularly hilarious because Ivanka and Kushner both, by their lawyer's admission, use unofficial means to communicate official business with foreign representatives. Lock 'em up, I guess?
If YoU dO tHe ReSeArCh ....

I'm a fan of Al-Jazeera. Their coverage outside of Qatari politics is generally quite good.
iirc from many many years ago, they scored high on whatever metrics is used for unbiased reporting

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
okay so NYT posted the "trump paid $750 in income tax" article and it's super sus. reading through it today it just doesn't make sense to me. mostly this chunk:

"Each time, he requested an extension to file his 1040; and each time, he made the required payment to the I.R.S. for income taxes he might owe — $1 million for 2016 and $4.2 million for 2017. But virtually all of that liability was washed away when he eventually filed, and most of the payments were rolled forward to cover potential taxes in future years."

so he owed $750 but paid $1 million? doesn't make any sense to me and someone with a bigger brain might be able to explain

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
My assumption is that the IRS looked at some sort of gross number or estimation and required payments based on those, but when he filed his liability was only around 750? That's what I'm getting from that, but I may be way off.

·
9,963 Posts
To file an extension, you have to estimate and pay your tax burden at that point. He estimated a significantly larger income tax burden than the $750 he ended up with, and rolled that paid amount forward to offset any tax burden in following years.

That passages point, and perhaps part of the focus of the ongoing IRS audit, is how the F did his accountants remediate $5M+ of his income tax burden from initial estimate to final 1040 submission.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ooookay. makes a little more sense now. so the ongoing audit is basically due to trump estimating and paying $5M over the $750 number? had it been estimated properly, he would have paid the $750 and nothing would roll over? this is all pretty confusing to me as i am not smart, but the article just doesnt have a linear timeline and no visuals to really bang out the point.

i watched the debate last night and it was worse than i had thought. i cannot believe how people can watch a human behave how trump did and still respect him. furthermore, the same people are echoing "but biden did the same thing!" no he absolutely did not. i am shocked he kept composure at all. i have not been a biden bro for the obvious reasons, but i have more respect for the dude after that ordeal.

·
9,963 Posts
I misspoke - the audit is due to Trump having successfully claimed $1.4B... BILLION... in personal losses in 2008 and 2009, which allowed him to claim a $72M tax refund in 2010 and avoid any income tax for years following.

He apparently did the same in 1995 - claimed $915M loss, which allowed him to avoid income tax payment through 2005, I believe.

Basically, tax law allows you to say “i may’ve had income, but i also personally lost a lot of money, so i should only have to pay income taxes on the positive amount that i made;” AND it allows you to carry forward prior losses for years to erase future positive income. So say you lost $500 one year, and make $100 per year - you wouldn’t pay income taxes for 5 years.

It’s important to know that, of course, income taxes aren’t the only taxes that you pay - you also pay taxes for medicare and social security. So Trump may claim large tax payments, and that may be true, but they’re medicare and SS, NOT income tax, which is the clear problem.

1121 - 1140 of 1171 Posts