ClubRoadster.net banner

1121 - 1130 of 1130 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,629 Posts
Your deductible will start over again if you switch coverage. Whatever you’ve paid through your parents policy from September - October WILL count toward them satisfying their deductible, however.

And yes, self-insured plans pre-empt state requirements. Federal dependent coverage age limit is 26. Florida happens to have imposed a state-level limit of 30, but, given pre-emption of self-insured plans, this only applies to fully-insured plans.

Generally only smaller employers (

EDIT: Insurance is my career and I find all of this to be insane and impossibly complicated to navigate. Single-payer system would likely make me unemployed, but it’s just about the only thing to solve this mess. Employers should not have the burden of paying for employee healthcare.
Unfortunately my insurance deductibles didn’t count toward my parents deductibles. My dad met much more than his deductible last year and they still made me meet a separate deductive because somehow our policy had individual deductibles.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,818 Posts
That’s called an embedded deductible plan - essentially there are two different types of deductible: one for the family, and one for each individual plan member. If the family deductible is reached, then all members have reached. If an individual meets their deductible, but the family hasn’t reached their deductible, then the individual gets coverage but the other family members continue to pay 100% (pre-deductible phase).

BTW, the same applies to your annual out of pocket maximum - it can be either embedded or non-embedded, and doesn’t have to use the same logic as your deductible.

EDIT: So this year your spend will count toward their aggregate family deductible but not toward meeting their individual deductibles.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
my #1 reason to save money is for the chance i get sick. im on my dad's work insurance right now, i'm booted off it in a couple years. it isnt great to begin with, but god my biggest fear is having to go broke because i get sick. i would love to go to therapy or see a dermatologist for things that aren't dire, but that is a luxury i do not have.

also, **** regulation of drug companies making insurance a necessity. medicine just shouldnt be so damn expensive, man.

·
9,818 Posts
Drug prices are just one factor of many, many factors that contribute to the high costs of healthcare in this country, and insurance would be a necessity even if drugs were free.

·
9,818 Posts
Since were talking about drugs, this is a good article about the promise of “foreign drug imports” being cheaper.

Spoiler alert: They’re only cheaper because the government actively negotiates the prices, because the government pays for healthcare. Many of the same manufacturers that supply drugs to other countries, also supply drugs here. They make less profit on drugs sent elsewhere, so they put higher prices on drugs here to make up lost profit.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Since were talking about drugs, this is a good article about the promise of “foreign drug imports” being cheaper.

Spoiler alert: They’re only cheaper because the government actively negotiates the prices, because the government pays for healthcare. Many of the same manufacturers that supply drugs to other countries, also supply drugs here. They make less profit on drugs sent elsewhere, so they put higher prices on drugs here to make up lost profit.

I appreciate you making the point that private insurance (and anything other than a government managed single payer healthcare system) is never going to address the issues facing Americans.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,436 Posts
I can't even. One simple post about how it is fairly concerning that Trump, by his own admission even, owes hundreds of millions of dollars to overseas banks via loans that are coming due during what would be his next term. I post about that and that exclusively and Trump stans show up yelling about how everybody evades taxes, it's perfectly normal, this is just the next "obama's birth certificate" and is no big deal, what about hillary's emails, etc. etc.

All they can do is throw more strawman arguments at you than can be comprehended and then act like they won the argument. It's baffling.

The Hillary email thing is particularly hilarious because Ivanka and Kushner both, by their lawyer's admission, use unofficial means to communicate official business with foreign representatives. Lock 'em up, I guess?

·
9,818 Posts
It's a cult my guy.
No, it’s just people doing what people do - using limited information to justify their position while putting up blinders to anything that might make them wrong / look foolish.

I suppose this is why cults form in the first place, but there are many, many people who would very easily fall into this same ignorance trap given the same conditions.

1121 - 1130 of 1130 Posts