ClubRoadster.net banner

Sport the "new" decklid and spoiler at MATG?

• Yes, it'll peeve the ^ies to no end

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! You're a young man! Save your reputation while there's still time!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks,

Thanks to a GReAT deal from Tim, I have an LE/R-package decklid spoiler. It is, of course, not in the best of shape.

That said, the question before is:

Do I sport the "new" part in its current condition and get laughs at the looks people give it while I'm at MATG, or do I wait until I can paint it, and sport my current 'lid, which has a curious mark that looks like like someone nearly punctured it from the inside?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bryan, if you want eyecatching, stop by your local big-box hardware store and pick up some industrial marking paint--you know, the flouresenct stuff that the gas company uses to mark your grass so you don't go BOOM when you plant a tree--it's available in pretty colors such as orange and pink! That would be SO eyecatching I could see you driving the Dragon all the way from Columbus! There'd be a pink hue to the southern horizon!

No seriously, phlat black should be fine.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gee...should I sand it first? This thing would only have a day or two to dry at best before I slap it on...think that'd be enough?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Flat will dry, in like 1.5 minutes. Not really, but it dries pretty dman quickly.

Paint it. Set it out in the sun. It'll bake on quite well.

Sand it? Nah. You could scuff it with a Scotchbrite pad if you want, but you're going to get it fixed and repainted anyway, so just flat black it to make it look more uniform for the time being.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Yeah, just flat black that sucker.

You may notice that the spoiler had been done in that manner already. It looked like hell and I masked it off after taking it off the car and then sprayed it in time for the Gap last year. Dried in a couple hours.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peter, that'd be AWESOME!!!!!!

Now all I have to do is mount and align it...shouldn't take too long, right?

(famous last words)

·
4,438 Posts
Well, it is is the OEM R Pkg wing then it is simply one hole drilled into the deck lid and fasten the two L clamps on each side....there may be some 3M tape that needs to be applied. Does your wing still have that tape unused? If so, should have red strip of material under. If not, you may need to pick up some 1/4" 3M tape.

Here is the crix that I ran into with mine - you have to remove the rear brake light when you drill - or BLAMMO - you destroy the light and bulb housing - it happened to me in the excitement of putting on a new wing.

If you want to do this, then let me know and I will bring some tools.

-Peter

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, you don't have to worry about it. I put one quick coat on this morning, and that will suffice.

Right now, I'm not sure if I'll even put it on. Managed to do a buncha damage to the door this morning by backing up and forgetting I left it open. Really stupid thing was that it was bending against the side panel of my chiropractor's truck (Didn't look like any damage, thankfully).

Needless to say, I'm less than happy...

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Needless to say, I'll let you put the valve cover on, if possible. I'm staying away from the wrenches for awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts