ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( So today after dropping my friend off at work I was involved in an accident. I was traveling on Highway 38 up in big bear (which has zero stop signs) when a woman in a chevy canyon pickup pulled off a street which was a T junction directly across my lane to try and turn left. I had very little time to react before impact. I managed to lay on my horn and slam on the brakes which locked them up. I T-boned the Canyon right in the driver side door. Both air bags blew which shattered the windshield and my driver side window also blew out. The front driver side of my car took most of the impact. The bumper is destroyed along with the headlight and fender. The engine runs and sounds ok, my radiator is touching my sway bar and my front end is pushed downward. The shock tower has a wrinkle which leads me to believe that its totaled. The airbags+ windshield+ window+ bumper+fender+ shock tower and front radiator support are all damaged. I just recently finished swapping in my newer 1.8 and had my car running perfect. I initially started feeling very nauseous as the chemicals in the air bags filled my car with smoke. I vomited on the side of the road before an off duty police officer that was behind me stopped and helped me push my car off to the side of the road. The WOMAN who was driving was very honest and admitted 100% fault. She had a son my age and was concerned about me and my car. Ive contacted my insurance and hers as well as my work to report the off duty injury. I cannot work until i visit a dr. and recieve a release to work. Well her are the pictures... So do you guys think its totaled??? If anyone has any advise I would appreciate it as this is my first real serious accident ive been involved in. My lower back is causing me pain as well as my ribs under my left teet, My neck and shoulders are feeling very stiff and tight. I have to visit a dr. no matter what to return to work so we will see what happens. By the way my miata is a 97 with a previously clean title and about 160k on the chassis and 60k on the engine. My new snow tires were also damaged in the skid leading to the accident.

Thanks again for any input you all have to give to me. Im still a little shook up and im just trying to relax. This really sucks as it was not my fault and now im stranded. Im waiting for her insurance to cover a rental for me so i can get around.

·
Administrator
15,610 Posts
^What he said.

She's done for.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Balls, dude.

Hope you end up okay! An insult to your car is one thing, bodily damage is another.

No-Look left turning cars scare me the worst, especially when I'm on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I would be hesitant to drive a car with damage to the shock tower. Get some detailed pictures, but its certainly worth parting it out.

use that along with insurance money to buy yourself another miata in good shape!

·
Registered
408 Posts
mine was nowhere near this but insur will ask you buy back for around 5bills lol do it trust me, if you can slap a ht on it value adds an extra grand =] just my 2cent muhahahahha

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
I would be hesitant to drive a car with damage to the shock tower. Get some detailed pictures, but its certainly worth parting it out.

use that along with insurance money to buy yourself another miata in good shape!
Just weld this in. $125 from partsgroup.com

·
Bimmer Challenge - B5
2,397 Posts
I am always surprised to see how incredibly well these cars hold up in accidents.

I am glad to hear you are alright for the most part. I am sure the next week will be difficult for you as your muscles will be very sore.

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for your concern. Im planning on seeing a doctor once I get the rental car covered. I am very mechanically inclined so depending on the price of the buyback ill keep her and possibly turn her into a track car. If I get enough id love to pick up another miata but only time will tell. Do you guys reccomend talking to a lawyer or do you think id be able to get everything settled through insurance Its been about 7 or so hours since the accident and my pain has been getting worse. The right side of my neck that connects to my traps is very tight as well as the left side of my neck that goes down my back. My lower back is causing most of my pain right now. Im hopeful everything will turn out ok. I have a sentimental connection to my car as it is the first car ive purchased exclusively by myself. Im currently working at snow summit in lift ops so it is kinda a physically demanding job. I obviously am not trying to take advantage of the situation but would it be reasonable to be compensated for time off of work due to the injuries? Thanks again guys for the support, it means alot to me that people care about someone they have never met.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes definitely totaled, I just went through the same experience. They didn't even assess all the damage. They saw it needed a driver door, quarter panel, windshield, and airbags.. that right there was $6000 and they called it totaled without even inspecting further damage. Good luck with everything, and hope you're okay from the accident!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Just weld this in. $125 from partsgroup.com

oh yea, anything in that are is fair game. one of my instructors did the same thing.

Thats why I was asking for a better shock tower picture (say the wrinkle was halfway into the the shock mounting point, I wouldn't feel good about that).

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am very mechanically inclined so depending on the price of the buyback ill keep her and possibly turn her into a track car.
Sounds like a plan, if the damage under the sheet metal isn't too bad I'd probably do the same.

If I get enough id love to pick up another miata but only time will tell. Do you guys reccomend talking to a lawyer or do you think id be able to get everything settled through insurance Its been about 7 or so hours since the accident and my pain has been getting worse. The right side of my neck that connects to my traps is very tight as well as the left side of my neck that goes down my back. My lower back is causing most of my pain right now. Im hopeful everything will turn out ok.
Not trying to come across all grown up but if I were in your situation I'd skip the thought of talking to a lawyer for the moment and get someone to take me to a doctor pronto. The last thing you want to do is postpone having a pro check out your neck if you've potentially got a neck injury.

Im currently working at snow summit in lift ops so it is kinda a physically demanding job. I obviously am not trying to take advantage of the situation but would it be reasonable to be compensated for time off of work due to the injuries?
That's probably when you want to talk to an ambulance chaser :) but the person who used my Jeep's front wheel to stop his car last winter certainly did that and I think the insurance considered the fact that claimed perfectly reasonable. I would, too, TBH, but more importantly I'd make sure they're covering the medical bills.

·
Supporting Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your advise. The insurance adjuster is supposedly to be speaking to me soon and ive left messages explaining the predicament im in and how im unable to even get to a dr. until they approve me for a rental car. when the insurance adjuster does contact me I will express how important it is for them to hurry the [email protected]#k up. The picture that you posted of the new front end doesn't look like it includes the shock tower area

Im still weighing my options but im 99% sure ill end up buying it back since the HT is fine as well as the engine. I guess I really just need to wait on the adjuster to make my next move. If anyone has any advise on replacing the shock tower and radiator support id appreciate it. other than that ill keep everyone posted on whats going on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts