ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just acquired a 90 white miata 5 speed from original owner with all paperwork and maint records but I'm mainly a vw/Audi guy but want to play with this miata for a while. Outside the stereo I just replaced what's the first "roadster" upgrade to do?
Izzy-

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Maintenance, Wheels/tires, rollbar, seat time, suspension, alignment, seat time, brakes, seat time. Or alter order depending on various component conditions. :D

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Buy these wheels for optimum racing style :

These coilovers for best lap times:

This exhaust for 20 HP:

This lip for max downforce:

and don't forget the camber kit for max hella flush style and optimum racing alignment.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
90 = SNC

Please locate a competent mechanic who is familiar with early Miata engines to have your car looked at for any SNC issues before you go hog wild and spend a bunch of money only to have the front of the motor drop off (absolute worst case, but dramatic sounding) and you get frustrated with the little buggers.

Welcome to CR.net

IBTW

(in before teh Winlowe)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

This exhaust for 20 HP:

and don't forget the camber kit for max hella flush style and optimum racing alignment.
This is uncalled for. I don't see any need for trolling yet.

I would do rollbar first. Personally, I am not really comfortable driving a miata without a rollbar. depending on your plans for the car (street driven?, autocross, track, etc) is how I would determine my upgrades. Some good things to do its your maintenance. I would start with replacing all the fluids:

oil+filter, trans, diff., clutch+brake fluid, and a coolant flush.

After you get those done, you can move on to bigger things. new plugs and wires if the current ones are old and decent set of brake pads would do it for me, before I start onto "modifications". Mods wise, just do what lines up with your plans.

·
Registered
289 Posts

This exhaust for 20 HP:

yes and insure you're frame rails constantly make contact with the ground for paint removal/weight reduction.

·
Supporting Member
1,543 Posts
Everyone's opinions will be different on this site. I say, have fun with it and do upgrades as you see fit.

For me, i acquired some one off wheels, and braced the hell out of it. Currently adding a turbo. Ultimate sleeper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you peeps are the real deal! I am only going to drive it twice a week to work and on curvy roads up a local mountain once a month but that about it. So all maintenance is up to date including replacement of all belts, hoses, pads, struts, tires.. So on... Was garaged it's whole life and owned by retired couple so no money was spared on up keep.
Well I like roll bar since I took on interstate and being net to a big rig with my top down kinda made me feel less then confident. Also I don't like how much wheel gap I have. Last owner had just replaced suspension with kyb gr2. Can I just get springs to lower it with those shocks/ struts?
Thanks again for the warm welcome!

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Also I don't like how much wheel gap I have. Last owner had just replaced suspension with kyb gr2. Can I just get springs to lower it with those shocks/ struts?
Yes and no. The gr2 is a stock replacement shock not intended for higher spring rates. You could get by with them if you're not looking for anything special. Poor underdampened performance and shortened shock life span is what you will find.

That said I've run them with H&R race springs and no springs at all for chumpcar. It got us 10th out of ~90 teams and 18 hours of racing. : P

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Thanks you peeps are the real deal! I am only going to drive it twice a week to work and on curvy roads up a local mountain once a month but that about it. So all maintenance is up to date including replacement of all belts, hoses, pads, struts, tires.. So on... Was garaged it's whole life and owned by retired couple so no money was spared on up keep.
Well I like roll bar since I took on interstate and being net to a big rig with my top down kinda made me feel less then confident. Also I don't like how much wheel gap I have. Last owner had just replaced suspension with kyb gr2. Can I just get springs to lower it with those shocks/ struts?
I second what Norman said, but I would err on the side of "doing it right". go ahead and put in for a decent set of shocks+springs. The problem is on the stock setup, you are already prone to riding the bumpstops which sucks ass really. Dropping the car and not increasing the spring rates enough only exacerbates the problem. If you get a compromised setup now, once your gr2s are gone, you will have to spend the same amount to do it right as the new springs won't really be useful.

just my 2c. I posted earlier a bilstein coilover setup for about ~700 shipped. Or you can go for the generic cheap setups of racelands/rokkors/vmaxx or whatever else floats your boat in your budget.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look into the Short Nosed Crank (SNC) issue that came with the 1990's, had mine looked at and it seems that the car is still stable and dodging the SNC bullet. Good news is, I did read up on some fact stating that the SNC issue effects 1% of the 90's - early 91's Miata owners? I could be wrong, but if I'm right that's a sigh of relief. I've also heard of the loctite fix? Which supposedly prevents the chance of it happening anytime soon or at all. DON'T quote me on all of this, it's just info I'm ringing up from the top of my head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts