ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we need a place where all the suspensions are in one complete thread. Full of details, reviews, info, pictures of how you sit, and and any other bits of information you would like to add. Post your set-up, rates(if able), modifications, overall quality/personal opinion.

This might stop countless thread for going slammed. Ask any questions here so we can have one large discussion on suspension. I shall go first.

Raceland Coilovers, no helper springs, factory top hats.
Benefits: Lowness on the cheap
Cons: Horribly bouncy

I want different coilovers and want to see others opinions on what they have. No I'm not asking for spoon feeding, just more than what is provided through searching.

Pictures.

New paint by ThisGuyNamedJames, on Flickr

Untitled by ThisGuyNamedJames, on Flickr

·
Old Threads > New Threads
5,273 Posts
Tein Basis (7Kf/6Kr) with NB tophats, OEM front sway with TDR endlinks, rear swaybar delete. Chaps with 205/50 S-Drives.

Rear: 11.75" HTC. Front: 11.25" HTC

Solid feeling set-up and I've never bottomed out, no clank, no noise, not bouncy. Only "con" (NOT a con to me) is that this is about as low as they go so those looking to slam will need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
716 Posts
99 NB; Tein Basics, FM shock spacers up front, stock NB tophats, FM front bar (full stiff) with 949 endlinks, rear bar removed. 15x8 +20 wheels (TRMotorsports) with 205/50 Star Specs. About 11.50 front, 11.75 rear; Probably a little higher.

Rides good with original Tein spring rates (~400/330). Not to bouncy on PA roads. Autox's well, good grip.

·
Registered
945 Posts
D2 Racing Coilovers
38 - way adjustable dampening
Currently set on 4 clicks from Softest

They ride great, very responsive but most people say they are too hard for daily driving. I love them. D2 bumpstops are perfect, and they only hit if you are hammered. Honestly, these coilovers have surpassed my BC Inverted Coilovers i had on my SRT4... and those were damn good.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
NA Tein Basics 8/6k (448lb/336lb)
RB Tubular FSB + block & bolt bracing
949 End Links
ES arm bushings
Superpro Rack bushings
RSB removed

12.5f 12.75r

DSC_0159-1

Pros: Cheap. Set it and forget. Rebuildable. Reliable (not a single hiccup in 18k of hard use). No gizmos to distract you while learning to drive or give you something to blame your poor track driving on.

Cons: Pretty basic (duh) shock. Nothing fancy. Does not tolerate low ride heights well. 7/6 factory spring rates are not ideal.

NB Bilstein Sports + Eibach ERS 500lb front 400lb rear
FCM NB front hats
FM rear mounts
Unknown FSB
ES arm bushings
RB end links

Pro: Cheap! Bilsteins appear to handle the front spring rates surprisingly well. If placing this kit on an NA do not expect to get terribly low.

Cons: Don't know yet. Haven't had the car aligned or at the track. For all I know I just built my coffin.

Lazarus

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
2000 NB: Racelands with stock tophats.
Pros: Low price, can get pretty low.
Cons: Rides like ass at any height really.

10.5" hub to fender in this picture.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1999 NB
Mazdaspeed B Spec Springs
OEM everything else.

Rides fine around town, only slightly stiffer than stock. Gets harder with compression (progressive rate springs)

Lowered about 30mm

Shot at 2011-08-02

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
DGR Coilovers, 10kg/7kg
Front FM 90-93 sway
Jackson Racing? endlinks

11.25f 11.5r w/ 225/45/15 on 15x8

Pros: Adjustment range will drop you through the ground, or to 13".
Cons: Damping is a bit soft, and the bumpstops are a tad hard. (They now offer an FCM option due to my feedback).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Xida Clubsports, 700/400
RB hollow "race" front sway, no rear
RB end-links

+36 15x9s w/ 225/45/15s, 11.50" front(4" pinch-weld) 11.75" rear(4.25" pinch-weld), rear is actually at 12" in this picture.

Pros: Crazy smooth ride for 700/400 rates, very composed, confidence inspiring, upgrade-able to double, triple, quadruple, or double-digressive. Really light, best handling suspension I've had in a miata, it also doesn't bottom out at the current ride height either.

Cons: $$$ and no helper springs currently, so remove one of the $?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Tein Flex 9k/7K
NB FSB with 949 endlinks
stock rear bar

height at pinch welds, IIRC
4 1/4" front
4 1/2" rear

15x9 +36 with 225/45 Hankook RS3 all around

They ride amazing! Absorb the bumps very well. Even though the suspension is very stiff it doesn't feel like it. No bounce at all either. I haven't played with the settings so not sure how much that would affect everything. Car is very flat through the corners and is very balanced. Don't think that there are any cons. Although for the money I probably should have gotten monoflex's so that if/when I throw some r-comps on the car, the suspension can handle the extra grip. Although the flex's may do just fine. Gotta wait and see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6866546840/ http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stance coilover 8k/6K
They are pretty smooth most of the time. They're definitely more smooth than the stock R-model suspension that they replaced. Though it must be said that the sharper bumps can be somewhat harsh.

FM sways
This car doesn't ever roll at all and the adjust-ability is great with the 949 endlinks. But I would like to get under there again with my equivalent weight in the driver's seat and make sure that the bar is even on both sides.

I wouldn't pay retail for the Stance coilover, weight longer and buy Xidas from what I've been reading. I got mine for 1000 shipped though, and couldn't pass it up.

I wish I had better pictures of the set up.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I like this thread. I think posting pictures of the suspension out of the car is also helpful for those that might be unfamiliar. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
H&R Street Coilovers

Pros: Mono-tube gas shocks that are revalveable. The springs are progressive and felt slightly stiffer than the Raceland coils currently on the car. While the spring stiffness is similar to Raceland coils, the dampening on the H&Rs are far superior and fast reacting. Perfect coilover for daily driving.

Cons: Dampening is not adjustable. Costs ~$1,000, which may be quite high for non-dampening adjustable suspension.

On Car:

Raceland Coilovers w/ Fat Cat tophats (helper springs removed)

Pros: Cheap. Wide height adjustment. With upgraded top hats, the ride is still comfortable and does not bottom out. Did I say cheap?

Cons: Dampening is slow and sluggish. No dampening adjustment.

[No pictures of actual coilovers, but we all know what they looks like]

On car:

·
Registered
347 Posts
My '90
Tein Flex 560/480, RB tubular front bar, no rear bar. Rides terrible when I forget to dial down the shocks, then it's not so bad.

My '99
AGX shocks on Flyin Miata springs, RB tubular front sway bar, stock rear sway bar. Very comfortable while still capable of terrorizing area two-laners. Not low, which was a bit of a letdown but not enough to do anything about it.

The wife's '93
Fatcat nonadjustable Bilstein coilovers, 650/425. RB tubular front sway bar, no rear sway bar, 949 end links. Excellent autocross car (probably the second-best STS car in the area) while still very comfortable on the road. Only real downside is that we ordered them in September 2010 and they didn't show up till Christmas Eve that year.

Just lowered the car another half an inch or so yesterday after seeing how low other STS cars were riding at the DC Pro Solo

Wife's '05 MSM
Box stock, no pics necessary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts