ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a pothole couple of months ago didn't have enough time to react and rolled over it on the passenger side. I dove for a couple of mintues and the power just abruptly cut off and comes back on. Literally like .5 of a second on/off. To explain how it would look like, imagine your negative wire jumping off the battery terminal and coming back on.

This happens every once a blue moon after the pothole incident. I think the longest stretch I've gone without experiencing it is like 2+ weeks. I know these type of problems are impossible to diagnose but I really want to fix this somehow.

The times I've notice it happen:
When I turn right hard
When I accelerate on the on ramp shifting into gear.
When I go over a medium bump (when the rear wheel jumps over it)
When I take off from a stop

I already checked the negative on the battery, its tight and secure. I cleaned the ground near the brake booster. Are there any other ground points that can be loose to cause this? Any input will be helpful.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Checked the codes and it was 03 I think, the one for the ECU not getting a signal from the Cam Angle Sensor. Cut off the insulation up about an inch above the the clip that goes onto the CAS and the black ground wire was completely broken, sautered it and it was all good. Just my 2 cents. Deffiantely check your codes. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
electrical connection issue. check all from battery down to all grounds. mine was an ignition switch on my 1.6L.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the replies!

-No ECU codes
-I've read about the CAS, lol sorry for sounding like a idiot but where is it located?
-No the A/C is not on when this random cut out happens
-I have checked the rear ground wire that goes to the battery, rock solid and its not moving anywhere any time soon lol. The one that run along the brace under the car is nice and tight as well.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
There are 4 grounds under the hood..one by the dipstick..one down below and to the right of the throttle body and one at the rear of the intake...and the white plastic block looking thing under the brake booster, which can be easily relocated to under the fender lip on the relay mount block.

Disconnect the battery to clear any existing codes and reconnect...then drive it until the problem crops up again...not all codes light the CEL

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies!

-No ECU codes
-I've read about the CAS, lol sorry for sounding like a idiot but where is it located?
-No the A/C is not on when this random cut out happens
-I have checked the rear ground wire that goes to the battery, rock solid and its not moving anywhere any time soon lol. The one that run along the brace under the car is nice and tight as well.

The CAS is the crank angle sensor and is located on the crank. What you need to be looking at is CPS: the cam position sensor. It will be on the back of the valve cover

·
Registered
94 Posts
This may sound silly, but check your battery tie down. I bought a used car once with the exact same issue and what was happening is one of the contacts was coming off the terminal because the battery was shifting around on turns/under acceleration.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
same exact thing happened to me. Check the grounds in the engine, tighten down the grounds by the -batt terminal, and replace the fuel injection relay. Those were the three things that fixed my problem.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The CAS is also the cam angle sensor, which I think on NB's is on the passenger side front of the valve cover. You should still scan it in case it threw a code realy quick and you didnt see the light blink on and off. At least thats what happened to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could be alot of things.. All situations are under heavy load. I would check for leaking spark (plugs/wires/case). Also points to fuel delivery( fuel pump sock clogged, injectors/lines leaking)

-my guess ... Loss of spark.

GL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts