ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm sure this subject has been "beaten to death," but I need a second opinion. I put my driver's side window down yesterday morning while I was out and came back to my apartment and tried to put it up, nothing happened. I didn't hear any sound from the window motor. I checked the fuses, just fine. I checked all the other fuses, just fine. Everything in the car thats electronic works, except the power window. I took the switch inside and cleaned the connections on the switch, still nothing. I checked the wires off the harness for the switch, they look brand new. I'm at a loss. can anyone shed some light on my situation.

Thanks

Bin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Grab a voltmeter and start at the switch and see if your getting power there. If no then there is a break between the battery and the switch. If yes then test at the window motor while toggling the switch. If no then either a bad relay or break in wire between switch and door. If yes then motor is dead or not getting enough juice.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
The cable itself can magically become lodged in... something? Wrapped around stuff. Caught on stuff. Lots can go on inside the door.

Pop off your door panel and look inside to see what's going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cable itself can magically become lodged in... something? Wrapped around stuff. Caught on stuff. Lots can go on inside the door.

Pop off your door panel and look inside to see what's going on.
I did just that this afternoon, the thing is, that neither window works. The driver's side is stuck down and the passenger side is up but won't budge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The connection in the switch had the slightest gap so thats why it wasn't working, but now my gauge lights and tail lights aren't working. The fuse keeps blowing, any advice?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If fuses are blowing then you have a short somewhere in the circuit.

Check for bad uninsulated wires or crossed connections. Since you stated this started happening after fixing your window switch, I would start there and make sure the connections are only making contact where they are supposed to.

Another common cause can come from poorly installed aftermarket security systems which seem to have been fairly common on these cars back in the 90s. Just look at this awful nightmare I found after buying car and noticing several odd electrical related issues. All the connections were insulated with loosely wrapped cheap electrical tape, doors would randomly lock/unlock, horn would beep, fuses would blow, ect...

by Peodi, on Flickr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts