ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and saw that a whole bunch of people disabled their powersteering. I changed out my outer tie rods and boots today. I got to thinking about how it would be. Anyone have any pics of their disabled powersteering? Also if you just plugged the lines rather than the Flyin Miata way, did you leave fluid in it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it's cheaper than buying a manual rack. Also it would free up a little horsepower and lose some weight.

Actually I am not a noob. I am as old as you but have been working on cars for half my life. This is my 5th car. I disabled my powersteering one on my hachi's. I just wanted to see some pics of who's done it and how on their miata. I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not worth it unless your car came with a manual rack.

I took off the power steering belt for fun once, and it was terrible.

A 330mm diameter wheel with power rack is perfect for me. The lower diameter increases effort/feedback and you've got quick steering response.

If you run a lower diameter wheel with disabled power steering, welcome to misery.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, removing the belt isn't going to disable the power steering cause you are gonna have the resistance of the pump and all the pressure in the lines still. When you disable the steering the lines should be removed and the wholes should be plugged. I know a manual rack would be best but I can't afford one.

There has to be someone out there that can give me a simple response to what I requested. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm going to go COMPLETELY contrary to M3 and say I love mine disabled FM-Style.

I threaded bungs into all the holes on the rack, pulled all the lines and had no problems. It's a little heavy in parking lots as you'd expect. After a month, I was one-handing it through parking lots with no problem, and i was no longer steering too far into corners and then having to back out steering input.

Besides, the Manual rack is a slower ratio. I like my fast rack with reasonable effort and a 350MM Momo Montecarlo.

I don't think I get to go home this weekend but I can likely get you pics next weekend. I ran my rack debelted for 2 years, then the car sat for 3 and then I depistoned it so I don't have a great back-to back comparison unfortunately.

I left no fluid in the rack, just a liberal coating of bearing grease on everything before I closed it up. 8k miles later, it's still fine.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,194 Posts

Your problem, as has been been pointed out earlier, is that you are still dealing with liquid resistance. De-powering the rack involves draining all (or nearly all) of the fluid in the system. It's really quite good, even with a 330mm wheel. I've already done it on my car, and would do it on the next one I get, too :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
i took mine off, its untapped and full of fluid right now, but i dont drive the car yet. Drove it down the street when i did it and loved it, you just need a little muscle. Free mod with less weight and less drag on the engine sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'll look when I get home next weekend, Marty. I think i tossed it though.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
either re-use the lines and weld the ends of the fitting shut, or get a metric bolt that's close.

I went the "close but no cigar" route since i've no intention of going back to power, it didn't matter what I did to the threads.

·
4,296 Posts
*NOOB ALERT*
Why would you want to do that?

thats sure was a Noob Alert !!! =D> #-o :roll:

i would take a Depowered Rack over a Manual Rack any day.
and i will definately do it to my next ps equiped mx.

for the record, i simply removed the ps,and connected the lines to each other, leaving some fluid in there..

·
Registered
402 Posts

A 330mm diameter wheel with power rack is perfect for me. The lower diameter increases effort/feedback and you've got quick steering response.

If you run a lower diameter wheel with disabled power steering, welcome to misery.
I totally agree. I took off the belt, and my "depowered" PS was absolute ****.

I then drained the fluid, removed the pump and reservoir, pumped most of the fluid out, and then looped the lines, and I love it. The feedback is amazing and above 5mph you barely notice the increased steering feel.

I didn't bother plugging the fittings, either: I took off the two rubber hoses, made one cut , and looped them into each other. I left all the metal hoses alone.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I depowered my rack by way of FM's instructions a while back. I love it. The tires talk, the steering feels better in terms of overall feel, and it sheds some weight.
If you want instructions, go to FM's website and check their tech section for the tutorial on it.

Btw, there's no point in looping the lines or leaving fluid in since there's really no reason to completely close off the entire system. PS racks don't need PS fluid to operate when they've been depowered. I cut my lines at the fittings and just clamped them pretty much shut. They're only clamped to keep debris and dust out, not to maintain pressure or anything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I depowered my rack by way of FM's instructions a while back. I love it. The tires talk, the steering feels better in terms of overall feel, and it sheds some weight.
If you want instructions, go to FM's website and check their tech section for the tutorial on it.

Btw, there's no point in looping the lines or leaving fluid in since there's really no reason to completely close off the entire system. PS racks don't need PS fluid to operate when they've been depowered. I cut my lines at the fittings and just clamped them pretty much shut. They're only clamped to keep debris and dust out, not to maintain pressure or anything.
The reason for looping the lines is for those that do not change the inside of the rack like in the FM says. If you do not remove the inside discs the air and fluid inside the rack have to be able to go from side to side so that there is no pressure to push against.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
There isn't any pressure unless you leave fluid in.
Plenty of guys plug their racks instead of looping lines.
I only pulled the rack apart b/c I wanted all the resistance removed that could possibly be there....plus I had a free day and nothing else to do.
The rack doesn't need any fluid whatsoever to function properly. Plus, tension on the rack can be adjusted via the adjusting cover. I found that out when I didn't have a torque wrench on hand to tighten the locking nut/adjuster cover back down to 43lb/in or whatever the specs are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts