ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #1
At the last autocross I noticed that my car felt a bit more wallowy and unpredictible in right-hand corners rather than left-hand corners. A look at the gopro footage corroborated that, yes, the car appeared to lean more when I was turning right. This, to me, makes sense given my (relatively) soft spring rates and the 135lbs of meat sitting on the left side of the car. Since my shocks are basic Koni Yellows with mazda springs on them could I effectively side-to-side 'corner weight' the car by shortening the driver side end link so that it applies a tilt bias to the passenger side to counteract the weight bias? Googling things like "Sway bar preload corner weighting" didn't really give me much to go on.

Registered
You would not want to do that. In one direction, the sway bar would twist up and increase in torsional load normally, just with more preload. In the other direction, it would have to unload first, then load up, which would probably be more inconsistent than it is now.

Do you know that the corner weights are actually off? Have you pulled an end link bolt while the car is on the ground (or suspension loaded) to confirm that there isn't already some preload in the bar?

You can always use shims to corner weight the car properly. If the corner weights are off, trying to fix an inconsistent handling issue before properly corner weighting the car is just going to be a bandaid fix.

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible to cornerweight a car without having adjustible coilovers? My corner weights are definitely off, when i replaced my (currently stock) end links I had to lift the passenger side of the car about 3 inches before I could get everything to line up.

Registered
You could corner weight by shimming the coilover/spring. It will be very inconvenient. Corner weighting is a big ask for the average enthusiast and good luck getting a shop to play with shims instead of threaded seats. Also, if your preload/ride height is off, you'll be able to tell even when the car is stationary.

Preloading swaybars is a bad idea unless you're only turning one direction.

You're looking to change things, but do you know the root cause for sure? Is the alignment good?

Google me.
Is it possible to cornerweight a car without having adjustible coilovers? My corner weights are definitely off, when i replaced my (currently stock) end links I had to lift the passenger side of the car about 3 inches before I could get everything to line up.
This will vary quite a bit with which links are used, and to a lesser extent bar. The hardest links to install being the bushing types like stock or the RBs. This is because while the length may be okay, the angle of the bush is not right in the unloaded state.

I agree with the other posters so far, you do not want swaybar preload at all, nevermind to create some correction of any kind.

Your bar links are not inches off, and you can't really judge angles well from a video. Autocrosses tend to have primarily one type of turn over the other, so your tire temperatures will not match side to side hence grip each way won't necessarily match even with perfect cornerweights and neutralized bars.

You can get the car square without scales if you use the old British pivot method.

Do you have adjustable links now? If so with the car on the ground, wheels straight ahead you can get the bars neutral, by laying on the ground and adjusting the final link up front at that time, then install. Then install the rears (which were off to avoid harming setting the fronts).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts