ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Well, I suppose that depends on how you are going to use the Rotus, whether thats a wise move or not. Elises are dynamically great cars, but everyone I know who brought one, has had far higher repair bills than the MX5, which like the watch ad, takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'. Elises, like all Loti, are just a bit too fragile to justify as an every day motor. Fine for weekend hooligans though.

Speaking of older Lotuses, I have an uncle with a '95 Elan M100 turbo; effectively the over-engineered predecessor to the Elise. The only parts he can get now for this car from Lotus are some engine parts (Isuzu engine, so it actually doesn't need much in the way of attention). The hood just p*sses water, and Lotus just laugh when he asks where to get seal sets from. Hopefully, spares support for the Elise will be better when it goes out of production. At the moment, he is having to spend his time looking through rubber seal catalogues trying to find something that will fit.

·
CR.net Supporter
350 Posts
You know my veiw"DON'T DO IT" 8) 8) 8) good luck with your new project

·
Registered
692 Posts
does th u.k. version have the toyota engine like the u.s. one or is it a rover? ive seen one with an integra type-r (b15c5)swap.. very nice

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
brian said:
does th u.k. version have the toyota engine like the u.s. one or is it a rover? ive seen one with an integra type-r (b15c5)swap.. very nice
Only recent versions. The reason the Toyota engine was used in the US versions was it was expensive to federalise the K-series lump.

The death of Powertrain I think forced Lotus's hand to drop the K-series in non-US markets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts