ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing the "marbles in a jar" rattle in my JRSC, so I read up and found out about replacing the coupler.

I ordered the coupler and some fresh supercharger oil from ZZ Performance.

I pulled the blower out of my car and separated the nose and the screw assembly from the screw housing.

Come to find out that the existing coupler is perfectly fine. It's nice and tight with no play.

The noise ssems to be coming from the screw assembly as it rotates in the housing! There seems to be a little play in the two screws and there is definitive wear on the fins of the screw and on the housing wall.

I'm charging my camera so I can get pics.

What could be the problem? Is there supposed to be any kind of lubricant in the screw housing? Looks like some carbon build up in there.

I'm trying to get this back together tonight so I can drive to work tomorrow!

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
hmmmm, how many miles arr on it? I know Eaton rebilds the blower itself for like $250.. .so i have heard, might want to contact them?

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the milage on the blower. The car only has 79k on it, but I don't know when the blower was installed as I bought it already installed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
oh wow! i've got the same exact symptoms on my supercharger and i've already gotten the zz coupler and oil. I don't want to take it apart only to discover that I've got to send it from South East Asia all the way to North America just to have it rebuilt....

·
4,436 Posts
Tim - what you may be experiencing is very normal for the M45 - rocks in a can iss definately something I experienced as well with my M45. Couple suggestions for you now that you have it out of you car:

1) call hector - ask him about normal play and sounds.

2) Get the SS# off the blower and call Moss/Jackson and have them reference the sale date - to give yourself orientation to age, etc.

3) There is only one place to go if you go down the rebuild route: http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

4) also, check out:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=148825&highlight=rebuild+eaton

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts