Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Food for thought for any of you thinking about getting a t56 rebuilt:

Tick performance is not what I thought it was. Apparently they have only one transmission builder named Jonathon who is arrogant rude and disrespectful. He seems to believe he is a god who can never make any mistakes. He takes on the attitude that the customer is always wrong and he is perfect.

I sent my t56 transmission to them because of a whine I had. We got the car on jack stands and ran it to be certain where the noise was coming from. My father even put a stethoscope up to the trans and differential; we are certain the noise was coming from the trans. I shipped it to them, opted for new bearings and they sent it back. We installed the trans in the car and took it for a ride. At first it was nice and quiet, all I could hear was the sweet sound of my ls1. I got it up to speed and still no noise. After about 5-10 minutes into the drive however the noise randomly came back.

My father has more years of experience with transmissions under his belt so I let him give tick a call. He eventually got in contact with what is clearly the only transmission builder there named Jonathan. My father was polite yet stern with him and explained the issue. John kept insisting it was the differential at fault and rudely dismissed anything my father said. After talking in circles for about 15 minutes, Jonathon began laughing disrespectfully at my father. His egotistical attitude was that he could not have made a mistake and my father knew nothing. Jonathon is arrogant and needs to re-evaluate his attitude towards his paying customers.

Even if we are wrong, and Jonathan is right, the fact still remains he is disrespectful and rude. He has the wrong attitude, we are all human, we all make mistakes and are all at fault for a problem many times throughout our lives. Jonathan doesn’t seem to realize this. We paid $1200 for a rebuild from him and he literally laughed in our faces as if to say “ha ha we got your money, too bad for you”. Two heads are better then one, tick needs a second trans guy to insure quality. I believed Tick was a team of experts but there’s only one guy who has nobody to check his work. That one guy is too supercilious and pompous. All he would have to do is test the trans on a machine or in a different car and he’d hear the same whine we hear.

I don’t know what to do here. Jonathan made it clear on the phone he had made up his mind and would ‘find’ no problem with the trans if we shipped it in so I would have to pay for shipping to and from for no reason. Tick performance is happy to take your money and later tell you to get lost if you have a problem.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Talk to his higher-up. Send a certified letter to the powers that be. Be the squeeky wheel. Talk to the BBB or any local governing bodies that may be able to work with you in NC. NC is very pro-business, so probably not, but it's worth a shot.

Also;

Get it looked at by a couple local experts, present their analysis to Tick. If they still don't respond or act the same, then it's time for Civil Court. Long Arm Statute provided by NJ against a NC company should help. NJ generally is a bit more pro-Plaintiff. You can go the Pro Se route, though historically that amounts to a crap shoot. Tick is large enough that they probably have someone on retainer, or have worked with a legal professional before, so I'de recommend council.

·
Registered
568 Posts
looks like you are on a campaign to post everywhere.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talk to his higher-up. Send a certified letter to the powers that be. Be the squeeky wheel. Talk to the BBB or any local governing bodies that may be able to work with you in NC. NC is very pro-business, so probably not, but it's worth a shot.

Also;

Get it looked at by a couple local experts, present their analysis to Tick. If they still don't respond or act the same, then it's time for Civil Court. Long Arm Statute provided by NJ against a NC company should help. NJ generally is a bit more pro-Plaintiff. You can go the Pro Se route, though historically that amounts to a crap shoot. Tick is large enough that they probably have someone on retainer, or have worked with a legal professional before, so I'de recommend council.
All good ideas but the problem is, I don't have the time or money for the court proceedings necessary. I may just me screwed here:fp:

Also this guy owns the place of 5 people

·
Registered
568 Posts
small claims court doesn't take alot of money. Collect your proof and take him to court. It is far more effective than just posting. Small claims court is designed for just your kind of issue.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Damn right you kidding me? He took my money, scammed me, isn't honoring his warranty and is a liar. I’m supposed to keep quiet about this?
Did you attempt to swap the diff to confirm that this is the case? I'm just playing devil's advocate here. How did you pay? Is a credit card chargeback possible for you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
small claims court doesn't take alot of money. Collect your proof and take him to court. It is far more effective than just posting. Small claims court is designed for just your kind of issue.
I don't have the time to drive down to North Carolina for a couple of days. Also what real proof do I have? The ls1tech thread says allot, but I doubt any judge who would preside over a “small” $1200 claim would spend the necessary 20-30 minutes to carefully read through all that

Did you attempt to swap the diff to confirm that this is the case? I'm just playing devil's advocate here. How did you pay? Is a credit card chargeback possible for you?
No I didn't but Jonathan proves its the trans in the Ls1tech thread. Read what he has to say. The credit card used was reported lost so Jonathan can’t make any further charges to it.

On this note, if anybody in the Nj area has an rx7 TurboII diff they're willing to let me borrow let me know. I could take a before and after video to prove allot. I'd also put up collateral for it

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
LS1

1. You're starting to come across as an annoying customer. Don't
2. You don't need to travel to NC to deal with the courts. File in NJ. I said as much above if you had bothered to read it.
3. A judge will read everything pertinent to the transaction.
4. A judge will also ask that you do all the diagnostic steps necessary to rule out other causes.
5. Stop posting so much, and figure out what the root cause is and deal with it. (See #1). I briefly looked at the LS1 thread, and it seems he's giving you an out and a refund of $1500. Take it, run and let this die.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LS1

1. You're starting to come across as an annoying customer. Don't
2. You don't need to travel to NC to deal with the courts. File in NJ. I said as much above if you had bothered to read it.
3. A judge will read everything pertinent to the transaction.
4. A judge will also ask that you do all the diagnostic steps necessary to rule out other causes.
5. Stop posting so much, and figure out what the root cause is and deal with it. (See #1). I briefly looked at the LS1 thread, and it seems he's giving you an out and a refund of $1500. Take it, run and let this die.
You didn’t bother to read the thread, he is not willing to help at all, he won't honor his warranty and won't accept a refund. Before you pass judgments and make ascertains, know the facts pertaining to what you're talking about. The “diagnostic steps” you referred to require allot of money I don’t have right now. I’ve dealt with the court system, the simple fact is any dealings require allot of time and money. Right now I have neither.

I'll post as much as I want under forum rules, this guys trying to screw me over, I'm not going to sit back and take it, other’s should know what’s going on here. Someone on Ls1tech said this happened to them but they never posted about it. Tick shouldn’t get away with this without potential customers knowing how they stand to be treated. If a mod feels the need to step in, he/she is more than welcome to. Until then I'll keep posting until Tick does me right. $1200 isn't chicken feed

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you post a ls1tech link?
Sorry I didn't earlier:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/1495055-tick-performance-problem.html

For anyone who doesn’t feel like reading the Ls1tech thread I’ll summarize it. I call out Jon, he says the noise is not the trans but he will “recheck it” and find no problem, then charge me for shipping. Next he says he’ll accept a refund. I get excited and jump on it, suggest we do it safely through paypal. He declines. I say he’s proven himself to be untrustworthy so why should I send him the trans without any guarantee he’ll remain true to his word.

He then says the noise may be the trans but that’s somehow my fault because I didn’t opt for parts he told me I didn’t need. I bring up the paypal offer again, citing his story change as proof of his low credibility and reason I shouldn’t trust just shipping the trans to him. He tells me he’ll honor neither his warranty nor his offers. I quote him, call him the liar he is, end of thread.

Throughout the whole thing he stooped to childish insults and frequently changed his story

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
grannys.tripod.com said:
The limited slip diff from a '79-'85 RX-7 is much stronger. It's a 4 pinion clutch style unit that looks much like a scaled down Dana PowerLock. With 4 gears engaged in the axle gears instead of 2, it's roughly twice as strong as the open diff. The '84-'85 versions have larger diameter axles, and reach their limit at around 350-375hp.

Ls1's see a 50+ hp increase just from a carb/highrise intake swap from efi alone. With this car I wanted to do everything myself and I don't have a dyno to correctly re-tune for upgrades. It came down to the fact that I didn't want to spend $500 for a re tune every time a different gust of wind blew by my intake and I wanted an extra 50 hp to bolt on. Makes sense to me. Efi is too complicated and too expensive.
depending on what year your motor is you could be between 400-450+ crank hp not good on a diff that was designed for a rotarty motor that put out 100ft lbs tq. it wouldn't be unusual for that to fail.

imo it's the diff if you hear a whine constantly.
also $1200 to open a trans, replace nothing, and send it back is crazy. that is the part that would send me through the roof.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
You didn’t bother to read the thread, he is not willing to help at all, he won't honor his warranty and won't accept a refund. Before you pass judgments and make ascertains, know the facts pertaining to what you're talking about. The “diagnostic steps” you referred to require allot of money I don’t have right now. I’ve dealt with the court system, the simple fact is any dealings require allot of time and money. Right now I have neither.

I'll post as much as I want under forum rules, this guys trying to screw me over, I'm not going to sit back and take it, other’s should know what’s going on here. Someone on Ls1tech said this happened to them but they never posted about it. Tick shouldn’t get away with this without potential customers knowing how they stand to be treated. If a mod feels the need to step in, he/she is more than welcome to. Until then I'll keep posting until Tick does me right. $1200 isn't chicken feed
You can choose to act like a mature professional adult and deal with this accordingly, or you may do as you are currently. I highly doubt you'll achieve your goal with your current approach. The last message states he'll refund $1509.99 provided you return the transmission. Return the transmission, collect your refund, and move on. Currently, you're playing a game of, "No! You first." Time to stop that. Who cares if he won't refund via paypal. You shouldn't have used paypal in the first place for such a substantial payment.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can choose to act like a mature professional adult and deal with this accordingly, or you may do as you are currently. I highly doubt you'll achieve your goal with your current approach. The last message states he'll refund $1509.99 provided you return the transmission. Return the transmission, collect your refund, and move on. Currently, you're playing a game of, "No! You first." Time to stop that. Who cares if he won't refund via paypal. You shouldn't have used paypal in the first place for such a substantial payment.
You don't know what's going on here, you're so quick to insult me, yet you haven't read through the thread. Currently I'm going about this very diplomatically, more adult like then your immature attempt at picking a fight with me.

First of all, the original payment was by credit card not paypal. Second, in his last post in the thread he states he will not do anything at all for me. Thirdly what do you expect me to do here? Send him my trans? Then what? "Ohh I didn't receive it"...."It's damaged no refund"..."This is not the trans I sent to you", he could claim anything. Jonathan proved himself to be a liar so why should I trust him? Not sure what you want me to do here, but in any case it's my choice. I'm not sending him my trans only for him to do nothing. I've already lost too much.

If he doesn't reply by the end of the day to the Ls1tech thread, I'll ask him again to go through paypal. There's no reason not to if he has any integrity.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
depending on what year your motor is you could be between 400-450+ crank hp not good on a diff that was designed for a rotarty motor that put out 100ft lbs tq. it wouldn't be unusual for that to fail.

imo it's the diff if you hear a whine constantly.
also $1200 to open a trans, replace nothing, and send it back is crazy. that is the part that would send me through the roof.
The turboII rear is from an 88” rx7 not 79-85”. They’re almost as large as ford 8.8’s and have proven themselves to be extremely reliable under hard launches in rx7’s heaver and with more hp/tq then my Miata. People have drag raced these with 500+ whp and they don’t break. I've never launched this car or even done burnouts. The whine is coming from trans, we used a stethoscope.

Yes I’m not quite through the roof, but I’m getting there

If it's on your card, do a charge back. See if you beat him that way.
What do you mean by "charge back"? I'm taking up a dispute with Wells Fargo bank

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
You don't know what's going on here, you're so quick to insult me, yet you haven't read through the thread. Currently I'm going about this very diplomatically, more adult like then your immature attempt at picking a fight with me.

First of all, the original payment was by credit card not paypal. Second, in his last post in the thread he states he will not do anything at all for me. Thirdly what do you expect me to do here? Send him my trans? Then what? "Ohh I didn't receive it"...."It's damaged no refund"..."This is not the trans I sent to you", he could claim anything. Jonathan proved himself to be a liar so why should I trust him? Not sure what you want me to do here, but in any case it's my choice. I'm not sending him my trans only for him to do nothing. I've already lost too much.

If he doesn't reply by the end of the day to the Ls1tech thread, I'll ask him again to go through paypal. There's no reason not to if he has any integrity.
I see no insults in Arbinshire's posts.

However, what I do see is posting cross-forum drama which we don't approve of here. Thank-you for warning the community of your unfortunate experiences with that shop, but I cannot let you use this thread as a soapbox. I am closing it. I hope you find resolution.

Please do not press this issue further.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.