ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe im crazy! well, ya I am! Maybe I wont make 200hp but it should be close. Atliest 180 at the wheels. And im planning on running 93 octane, which is premium pump gas here in FL. Tobys high performance in apopka is doing the machine work and Darrin @ DoubleD tuning is going to tune it. He is one of the best tuners in the country and is also who tuned the fuji racing miata. That car had a very similiar setup but with stock bore size, stock rods, and slightly less duration and lift on his cams and he made 184 at the wheels...So I am expecting big things!

Here is the plan. My 97 has a 99 motor in it right now that is running on megasquirt. and im still using the 97 ignition
I have a obx header, custom mandrel bent 2.5 piping.

Head: 99 built by flyin miata. ported and polished, oversize valves, 10krpm valve springs, titanium retainers, Toda 304duration 10.5mm lift cams, corksport cam gears, cometic head gasket

bottom end. Wiseco 85mm 11:1 pistons (final compression will be abt 11.5:1 because the block is decked), Carrillo A beam rods, balanced and polished crank, ACL race bearing throughout, All ARP fasteners and studs

intake: TWM 45mm individual throttle body kit. It has their injectors, fuel rail, and Fuel pressure regulator.

Here are pictures of the first wave of parts I received today!!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
built to tits NA motors are amazing, document it well!

·
Mr December yo
2,423 Posts
is 93 octance really the premium fuel for you guys in FL? no joke, thats seriously our basic fuel in aus. Most petrol stations will offer 93 95 and 98 octane.

anyway, ill be watching this thread...love a good n/a bp motor! :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
is 93 octance really the premium fuel for you guys in FL? no joke, thats seriously our basic fuel in aus. Most petrol stations will offer 93 95 and 98 octane.

Lucky. We got 91 as premium. It's 87, 89 and 91 here. :whistle:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not really sure about the injectors. The guy had said they are 250 lb/hr. Can that be right? They are whatever is standard from TWM. and I also don't know what fuel pressure at the rail I will have. When it comes time I will let the tuner deal with all that stuff...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Lots and Lots of money!! Should be fun. I am in for the dyno numbers. You should get the car dynoed before putting all the changes in for comparison's sake!

·
Herpity Derpity
1,867 Posts
In for pics and video. Would be a AutoX beast.

·
Supporting Member
257 Posts

The US uses a different way of measuring octane. Our 93 is likely about the same octane as your 98.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
questions: with the new bottom end pieces, what will the piston speeds reach during stroke be at your new rev limit, compared to the original?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure about the piston speeds. Im not a wizard! lol. Im not even sure what i'm going to be revving it to. Probably around 9k
and i'm not going to dyno it before hand. Sorry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The US uses a different way of measuring octane. Our 93 is likely about the same octane as your 98.
AUS uses RON (research octane number)measurement of octane USA uses MON (motor octane number)

93 in USA will be better than 98 in AUS

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Might want to go for a better header if you are spending all that money on the rest of it. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bet you could get pretty close to 200whp with a good tune. When you get bored with that swap the pistons out for 8.5:1, throw on a turbo, put down 350 whp and call it a day.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might want to go for a better header if you are spending all that money on the rest of it. Good luck with the build.
I might end up getting a better header if I cant reach my goals. We shall see. I actually saw one other all motor build on here. I cant remember whos it was but they went from an obx or a racing beat to a maxxim works header and lost 5 or 10hp. Aside from getting a header custom built for your mods, its hard to say which will work better for your goals.
But ya, I know the obx design is generally not the best.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I saw from another build thread the Maruha VP header had better flow than the Maxxim. What engine management are you planning on running?

1 - 20 of 622 Posts