ClubRoadster.net banner

361 - 380 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
hmm, i do not remember that being on mine when i took them off. oh well, thanks though, will definitely get something and plop it in there. thanks you.

super awesome car BTW, wish i had the money to build a motor like that. must be so fun to drive.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
I took a closer look for my grounds today and noticed that there is a ground strap hanging down behind the head from the coil area that appears to be broken. So it is not hooked up. It appears that it would plug into a male prong or something because what is hanging down is a female socket with half a broken brass/copper looking prong in it... I am sick so didnt feel like digging into it too much today. Where is this ground supposed to go?

In the meantime I made a couple extra ground straps. One from one of the valve cover bolts to the frame, and another from one of the alternator bolts to the frame...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I took a closer look for my grounds today and noticed that there is a ground strap hanging down behind the head from the coil area that appears to be broken. So it is not hooked up. It appears that it would plug into a male prong or something because what is hanging down is a female socket with half a broken brass/copper looking prong in it... I am sick so didnt feel like digging into it too much today. Where is this ground supposed to go?

In the meantime I made a couple extra ground straps. One from one of the valve cover bolts to the frame, and another from one of the alternator bolts to the frame...
I can't think of a ground with a molded connector. This might be O2 sensor or something else

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If it is one wire and closer to the driverside then it may be your temp sensor below the heater core hose in the head. If it is on the passenger side then it may be your ground for the injector harness. Iirc that should be held down by a 6mm bolt/10mm nut.

·
Supporting Member
257 Posts

This is what the engine ground wire looks like. The side to the right attached to the drivers-side rear of the head with a 10mm bolt. As Rogue stated, the left side bolts to the flat shelf below the heater houses. The little bended tab drops into the alignment hole and a 10mm bolt holds it in place.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
257 Posts
ya thats what it loos like. is that important? or will the one I made be sufficient to replace it?
It is important to have a heavy gauge ground strap between the engine and body, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that one there. As long as you put one somewhere, I would think you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
ya thats what it loos like. is that important? or will the one I made be sufficient to replace it?
its a fuckin ground wire. its not magic! The only thing thats important is that you use the same OR larger gauge wire. I would say connect it to the same location, but thats not a requirement, just for peace of mind. Just make sure its engine to chassis and the bolt/bolt head sizes are the same, size is important...also making sure there is no paint under the contact area is a good idea.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
OK, I finally Ordered my header. Bob Boig is building the primaries and I splurged on a super expensive bad ass SPD collector. Cant wait to get it here, mocked up, ceramic coated, installed and then to the dyno. Howveer I think I am going to get a better custom exhaust also to complement it. My current exhaust is not horrible but it could be much better, and I think It could be quieter at the same time. Its too loud!
Jesse Prather is recommending 2.5" mandrel piping with 2 26" glasspacks...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Seriously just read through this whole thread and I have to say I am excited to see it finished. I hope all goes well and you finally make that extra 15whp with the exhaust setup in the works.
Still in for a video too!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
Just got the collector in today. Still waiting on the primaries. heres the custom SPD collector that they designed specifically for the needs of my engine based on the specs I gave them. They where very very thorough with the specs of every little detail.
Its a 12 degree 1 3/4" to a 3 degree 2 1/18" to 2 1/2" choke.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
^^^ This is what a real collector looks like. You will never ever find anything like that on an inexpensive header. Take note all you Raceland and OBX cheapskates.

·
Registered
353 Posts
anti reversion is a good thing!

I don't remember. Did you ever get cams?

TODA 304 Duration 10.5mm lift

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #380 (Edited)
"The collector is where the power is at!" - Jesse Prather
haha. he said he usually sees atliest a 5-10 hp increase by going from SPD or Burns collectors than other "good collectors" including Bob Boigs own collectors So i had to take his advice.

361 - 380 of 622 Posts