ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that ive just purchased my 4th miata, Ive actually never done a build thread on here of any of my miatas. Oh how time must change. Bear with me as over the course of time, i will step out of the slam game and build this car into something that is simple, functional, and enjoyable to drive.

I found this 95 Montego here locally on CL and judging by the price, sounded too good to be true. I called the number listed and spoke to a woman who had the the car shipped from her fathers residence in California to her place of staying here in Nashville, TN. I agreed to come look at the car the very next morning and bought it right on the spot. When i spoke with her on the phone, she had the car listed for $4000. I stalked the CL ad the next morning while on my way there and she had jacked the price up to $5000. I was utterly confused and pretended not to know that she did so! After inspecting the car, she told me that she thinks she priced it a little low to begin with and that was the reason for the price bump. I proceeded to tell her that $5000 was out of my price range and that if i knew about the raise, i never would have come and looked at it. After hours of negotiating and me portraying my knowledge of these little cars, she realized that i would make a great owner and we settled at $3800.

Now a little about the car...... She is a 95 Montego with only 76k miles and mechanically in absolutely perfect shape. Come to find out that i am the 7th owner..... thats roughly 10k miles per owner lol. The body has a few imperfections which i will deal with a little later down the road but the interior was in mint condition minus the cigarette butts and ashes under the drivers seat. Her father installed a 12 disc cd changer in the trunk and ran the controller out from under the tombstone with as much velcro as humanly possible. May i add that it took me hours and many bottles of goo gone to remove all the sticky ****!!

Enough talking and on to pictures.........

The car came with a few unexpected goodies as well. MOMO V35 wheel!

Push start was installed as well

Blue canvas soft top, not sure of brand but of great quality. (not crazy on blue tops)

And my favorite......... Mazda workshop manual

The car also came with Koni Yellows so i reckon ill be ordering/piecing together some ground controls. It also came with M.net stuff like a black tonneu cover, car cover, Brospeed Bosal exhaust, blah blah blah.

Ill keep updated although this will be a slow build since i own 3 other vehicles im dumping money into.......

Merlot :icon_cheers:

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Merlots Montego

Wanna sell? I'm looking for a Montego.
No can do bud. Ive already grown an attachment to her

Heres a few pictures of the body that needs some attention.......

Supposedly it was backed into a mailbox and the only thing they cared to fix was the tail light. You can clearly see the dent above the light and where the quarter panel runs along the trunk, there is a raised section that probably aint too noticeable but it bugs the piss out of me. Under the light is also pushed in on the quarter panel and the finish panel. The bumper is also fucked up

Somebody has backed into the door as well and they had it repaired by an apparent blind man. The top side of the door has a little purple hue to it compared to the bottom side and its still slightly pushed in where it lines up with the quarter panel.

And a picture of one of my babies just for funsies.......

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So i got bored a few days ago and decided to yank the grimy VC off and clean in it. I decided to take it a little further and just go right ahead and repaint it. I stopped by my local auto store and picked up a can of paint. I originally wanted to do red to replicate the MSM VCs but at the last minute decided it might look too rice-ish since my engine bay is still completely stock.

Before: (pic makes it look less worse than it was)

After:

Once the weather gets better around here, i plan on yanking off the intake manifold and repainting it the same color as well as starting a mild tuck/delete on all the eyesores. Ive also sourced a new Mishimoto radiator for under $200 ill probably snag soon.

I also picked up some new steering wheel bolts from a member here (aboundly) to replace the ones on the wheel since the PO had stripped the head off 2 of them and i couldnt quit staring at them while driving.

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Looks good but I think the red wrinkle finish is always a great choice. :)
Yea im kind of kicking myself for not doing it. I think i may yank the VC off the Chaste and respray it red wrinkle. If it turns out good, ill just swap them out.

Looking good! And love your dog :D
Thanks bud. Just now noticed your just a few hours from me :icon_cheers:

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well since the weather was somewhat nice today, i decided to yank the roll bar off the Chaste. Which was a pain in the ass to say the least.

I was gonna install it on the Montego today but im having thoughts of respraying it. So til i decide on a color, itll sit in the house.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Told you would get another on. I still haven't done anything productive with that top frame I got from you haha.

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Told you would get another on. I still haven't done anything productive with that top frame I got from you haha.
Long time, no see buddy. Yea I just couldn't stay away. Once I ditched this "wife life", I just had to have another so I bought 2 lol. Well i did something very productive with that bottle of wine. Every time I'm in Mt. Juliet, I pick up a bottle lol

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Well i scored myself a small win today...........

When i bought the vehicle, i was told there was a short in the wiring leading to the Mazdaspeed horn button so i just assumed it was miswired. So i removed the horn button and it was wired correctly, so i took the horn button apart and everything checked out ok. I followed the wiring back under the dash to the horn relay and then to the fusebox looking for damaged or frayed wiring. Everything looked fine. While climbing out of the floorboard, i braced myself and used the brake pedal to wedge my way out. I couldnt help but notice out of the corner of my eye that my brakes lights didnt light up (no reflection on the chrome bumpers of my C10). So that means ive been driving around for weeks with no brake lights!! Then it hit me.........Check the fuse ya dummy! Sure enough, that 15 was blown. So now i have my girly horn and brake lights back.

/boring story

·
ToyotaCare........
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cant seem to pick a project and finish it so..... i started another one today. I jacked the VC off my Chaste and decided to shave it and respray it red. Heres some progress that i made until the rain came in today.

I shot the shaved area with filler primer to eliminate any imperfections

Sanded her down to a smooth surface but i still have some VERY slight waves in it. Ill probably shoot her twice more tomorrow with filler primer and that aught to get it nice and smooth.

Ill try and shoot my first layer of red by friday depending on the weather. :bouncin:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts