ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah I might keep the vent and duct it around into the brakes. It just looked kinda goofy when I drew it last time. But I think I'll try it again just to see if it changed at all. And yup the wheels kinda bring it to reality. If I put some color on it, it will look even more real. (if I can do it right :p) I'll see if I can add the top to it also. I'm also thinking of fabricating a fiberglass tonneau cover that flows with the roll bar. something like this:

Yeah it's an s2k but its similar to what I'm thinking about.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In other news, I've been talking to Sam at Renown Performance and I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be bringing it in for a head overhaul. I'm now reasonably excited. And I'll be ordering the supercharger this week for my christmas gift :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm getting ready to order up some goodies. But I wanted to see if anyone had anything good or bad to say about the raceland 4-2-1 header before I purchased it. Before anyone hastles me about searching Google yadayada, a. I'm at work and don't feel like roaming the interwebs, and b. When I search it I've yet to find an actual review of it.

·
Jolly Roadster
391 Posts
The vent looks better to me, but ultimately it is your build. The Raceland header will rust in a year or two, from what I have read. I would say save a little extra and buy a Jackson Racing or RacingBeat header. They are expensive but will last. If you buy cheap parts and keep replacing them, it adds up. Do it right the first time if you can.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, I'll probably end up doing something like that. Problem is getting rid of the 4 points I JUST paid good money for, and the seats don't have a crotch hole. lol. But yeah it will happen eventually I'm sure. Just not until the the engine at least goes back in.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finally started tearing apart the engine. Hoping to get it sent out next week.
Head is getting ported and polished with a valve job including new valves, springs, retainers, etc. Block is getting honed and decked with new rings.

Here are some pics of the start of the disassembly

Stay tuned :fab:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got the block completely stripped down and ready to be handed off to Renown Performance. Got the motor flipped upside down to remove the oil pan.

I then had to find a new mounting situation. 2 bolts from the stand went into the block itself and the other 2 into the oil pan. I didn't want the two bottom bolts straining to hold up the block, so I re-rigged the hoist with a strap just to support the other end.

Finally got the oil pan off after fussing about with that super duper magical mazda glue they hold the oil pan on with, and the windage tray welded in by it.

Then proceeded to remove the rod caps and dump the rods and pistons out the bottom (safely)

Crankshaft came out and the block was bare naked

With the bolck all alone you get an idea of how tiny this motor really is lol.

Now my next step is cleaning all of this up while I wait to get everything back from Renown.

These guys need some serious TLC

Crank is in good shape. Although the rod bearings were pretty shot. But all in all, for a 190+ thousand mile motor, it was in pretty good shape.

Can't wait to see what Renown can do with this motor.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just thought I'd give a small update out of boredom. Parts are now on the way:
Flyin miata engine rebuild kit with all the gaskets and o-rings and bearings I need with a few other goodies. And the BIG one. After about 6 months of waiting... my oracle flush mount headlights have FINALLY SHIPPED!

I've been hand cleaning the pistons back to their origonal shine. It's taking some time and elbow grease, but damn they look nice. Pics very soon. And finally after procrastinating long enough. I will be bringing the motor into Renown Performance on either monday, or wednesday if I decide to sit around the house all day and wait for my lights.

I'd also just like to give a shout to Sam over at Renown. Been a great help and answers all questions and needs while providing a great bargain and service. I highly recomend checking these guys out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ha thanks. Yeah not a whole lot is going to be left the same. For the front fenders, I'll be widening them up about an inch or so, and giving them some more beefy-ness. The whole idea for my design is for all the lines on the car to really flow together. So the front lip will sort of flow up the sides, forming cnard wings, then up into the vender, and flow into the door.
For the rears, pretty much the same thing only the flow of the edge will go all the way from mid door, up over the fenders, into the ducktail style lip, and then back down the other side of the car in the same way.
Mostly fiberglass construction but I may be using some reletively thin sheetmetal underneath to give it some rigidity, since ill be cutting quite a bit of metal out of the fenders and doors.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Alright. Spent some serious time and effort cleaning the massive amount of carbon and gunk off the pistons. I am quite pleased with the results.

You can see they were pretty nasty. The vave dimples were actually CAKED with ****. So this should be a little healthier.

So yeah, they cleaned up nice.
On another note I just send my final parts order to Renown which included some of these: :whistle:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Time for an update!

Headlights never shipped out due to some problem miscounting bulbs for them :evil:
But my FM 1.6 Rebuild kit DID show up. Also the block and head are now finally in Renown's posession so now it is just a waiting game.

But for viewing pleasure here is the rebuild kit!

Got me some gaskets for the head, exhaust mani, intake mani, and oil pump.

The new timing belt, idler, and tensioner pulleys.

And everything else

Which includes:
Valve cover gasket, oil pan seals, cam sensor o-ring, thermostat with o-ring, crank seals, camshaft seals, oil pickup seal, dip stick o-ring, pvc valve gromet, thrust bearings, main bearings, and rod bearings, NGK plugs, oil filter, and some assembly lube, ptex, and some RTV sealer.
Also came with valve stem seals but those are with the rest of the motor.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts